win 10 on pent just stops working

bumpkin 21:39 18 May 2017

i have had this problem for a long time and have sought advice here before but never did resolve it. Maybe I did not explain it clearly enough so lived with it but now it is becoming too frequent.

By stopping I mean for example if I try to go to this site the connecting circle will just keep running, I can exit and bring up Firefox and start to find another site and then the keyboard stops working halfway through the text. I then click exit and nothing happens then the mouse stops working. Only solution is a reboot.

This may not occur for a few hours but could be a few minutes.

I have tried re-install, new ssd, different mouse and keyboard, clean out and new paste, PSU shows as OK with a decent tester but I have not tried another one yet. I am now wondering about CPU or motherboard. To give an example it has happened 7 times while I have been trying to post this, fortunately Firefox restores to here without me having to start the text again.

Totally baffled on this, and suggestions please.

bumpkin 21:50 18 May 2017

Moe info, it is a 2yrs old Pent G3220 2 core 3.0GHz. MB is Asus H81M-Plus Haswell.

rdave13 00:00 19 May 2017

So long as the CPU temp is ok, Core Temp I use, running on startup, then the paste is OK. As the machine is only 2 years old I'm assuming UEFI. You've also installed 10 on an SSD. Download and install MiniTool partition Wizard (free) and check the drive is GPT not MBR and also check alignment of the partitions. Just the basics first to check that Windows isn't having problems with the hardware.

My setup on an older laptop with EFI setup running an SSD;

Hope that helps.

Menzie 01:05 19 May 2017

Is the problem only happening in Firefox or on other applications as well?

If only Firefox, try running safe mode as one of the add-ons may be playing up.

I remember McAfee Site Advisor causing mine to lock up at random at one point in time.

bumpkin 11:26 19 May 2017

Curious! I changed it to GPT from MBR and it would not boot at all from that drive, changed it back and it does.

rdave13 12:25 19 May 2017

Does this freezing just occur in FF? Try another browser. If it keeps happening anyway and you have UEFI then it may be worth doing a fresh install of 10 with the SSD changed to GPT prior to install - but only if the freezing continues. Are the partitions aligned ok?

Off to work so will look in later.

bumpkin 14:11 19 May 2017

Thanks, I tried to reply earlier but it would not work. I am now using Google browser but the trouble with this kind of thing is that it may not occur for hours so I have to wait and see. As for aligning the partitions, I have Minitool Pro but cannot find this option.

bumpkin 21:10 19 May 2017

Not just FF also happens with google. It seems to get worse the longer the PC has been on.

rdave13 23:41 19 May 2017

Then it's nothing to do with the browsers. How do you feel on doing a fresh install of 10 again on your SSD?

This is the way I would do it. Connect the SSD via a caddy to another PC/Laptop. In Disk management right click the left section where the SSD is showing in the bottom window. The option of converting it to GPT is available. Note that using Windows to do this it will wipe the drive so back up anything of value. It's a blessing in disguise as that is the perfect state for the drive to be in to install W10.

Once back in the original PC do a fresh install of Win 10. Windows will align all the partitions automatically. Check with Partition Wizard that all is ok. Your SSD should now be at optimal settings with Windows. Hopefully no more freezing of peripherals.

bumpkin 15:13 20 May 2017

Thanks, worth a try as nothing else seems to work. Will get back with the outcome. My delays in replying are due to other non PC things that I need to deal with more urgently at the moment.

bumpkin 15:49 20 May 2017

right click the left section where the SSD is showing in the bottom window. The option of converting it to GPT is available.

Not a good start, I can't see the option.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?