Will XP format Dell partition

merc. 14:21 01 Dec 2009

Now I have all of my files etc. of my old laptop I am now going to try and reformat it and install XP back on so I can give it to my granddaughter to learn on.

My old computer is a Dell Inspiron 510m, what I need to know is if I format it with the XP disc will it format the partition that holds the recovery part also or just the C drive, I don’t really won’t to keep this partition as I only would like XP, then I will install what I won’t not all Dell’s rubbish.
If not is there a program that will clean the hole hard drive preferable free.

I have the XP disc and all the driver disc’s that came with the computer, will I have to install the drivers or will XP do most of them when it restarts hopefully??? If not is there an order that they should be installed or will they just collect the right driver from the disc.

Might be back a few times during this job!!!!

Thanks again

Merc

JanetO 15:23 01 Dec 2009

Make cd rom 1st boot option in bios then when you boot from cd follow instructions to reinstall xp. You will see possibly 3 partitions, 2 of which are fat32 (hidden dell partitions). It's best to keep these so highlight 'c' to format and install xp.

Or you can do a repair install where xp reinstalls over itself and keeps all data, but you just have to redo all updates.

When xp finishes installing there is an order to install the drivers and utilities:

The following list is an overview of the correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops and portables. After reinstalling Microsoft® Windows®, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. It is recommended that you print this list for reference when installing drivers.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

1. Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first. This is located under the System Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

5. Laptops Only: Dell Quickset or Dell Control Point Manager (DCP) - Controls power management, ambient light sensor, wireless profiles, and security features on laptops. This is located under the Applications on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

7. Modem - Allows dial-up capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

8. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

9. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Input Device Drivers Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

10. Other Devices Intel vProTM or AMTTM - Enhances system manageability. This is located under the Chipset Category on on the Drivers and Downloads page.
Bluetooth ® Module located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
PCMCIA/Smartcard controller located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
Touch Screen Digitizer Enables touch screen mouse control available on select Dell laptops. This is located under the Input Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

GaT7 15:23 01 Dec 2009

I'm not sure how a Dell install disk works, but if it's anything like a normal XP install disk, you'll get options to delete all partitions & start afresh near the beginning of the whole process.

Alternatively, you can connect the drive to another working computer & delete + reformat all the partitions in Disk Management to suit your needs. G

GaT7 15:25 01 Dec 2009

Alternatively, you can temporarily connect the drive to another working computer & delete + reformat all the partitions in Disk Management to suit your needs, before reinstalling it in the Dell. G

merc. 19:38 01 Dec 2009

JanetO & Crossbow7
Thanks for your response, that is certainly a good stage by stage for doing the driver install, only hope is is as easy when I come to do the reinstall.

I dont think I have the knowllage to carry out Crossbows7 way of putting drive into another computer.

Still will start tomorrow and see how things go.

Merc

woodchip 19:55 01 Dec 2009

Problem is I think he as only got the XP Restore CD and this would put it back to Factory Condition with all the rubbish.

But could do that then clear out all what you do not want

merc. 20:45 01 Dec 2009

woodchip
The disc I have has the XP key so does that still mean it is only a restore cd.

I thought when it had the key number it was the full XP.

Merc

merc. 21:12 01 Dec 2009

Another thought has came to me, I have an old desktop with the proper XP CD which I have not used for 2 years and don't intend to again.

Could I put the XP from that CD on laptop and get it certified by Microsoft to run updates on laptop.

If so do you still put in the key or do you have to phone somewhere to do it manually.

Merc

lotvic 21:49 01 Dec 2009

Dell XP cd/dvd's are ordinary OEM XP as far as I am aware.
Dell support site UK click here
support for Inspiron 510m click here
Manually Reinstall Dell Windows XP click here
By performing a Manual Reinstall, you will no longer be able to do a PC Restore or Restore to Factory Settings

page 84 of manual:
Removing PC Restore
NOTICE: PC Restore enables you to restore your computer’s operating system to the condition it was in
when you purchased your computer. It is recommended that you do not remove PC Restore from your
computer, even to gain additional hard drive space. If you remove PC Restore from the hard drive, you
cannot ever recall it, and you will never be able to use PC Restore to return your computer’s operating
system to its original state.
1 Log on to the computer as a local administrator.
2 In Windows Explorer, go to c:\dell\utilities\DSR.
3 Double-click the filename DSRIRRemv2.exe.
NOTE: If you do not log on as a local administrator, a message appears stating that you that you
must do so. Click Quit and log on as a local administrator.
If the partition for PC Restore does not exist, a message appears stating that the partition was
not found. Click Quit; there is no partition to delete.
4 Click OK to remove the partition.
5 Click Yes when a confirmation message appears.
The partition is deleted and the c:\ partition expands to include the newly available disk
space. To check the available space, right-click the c:\ drive in Windows Explorer and
select Properties.
6 Click Finish to close the PC Restore Removal window.
7 Restart the computer.

merc. 22:09 01 Dec 2009

lotvic
that's a lot of great information might have to spend most of tomorrow reading through all of it.
Thanks
Merc

GaT7 11:45 02 Dec 2009

"Could I put the XP from that CD on laptop and get it certified by Microsoft to run updates on laptop."

Yes, as long as it's the same type (Home for Home, & Pro for Pro) & you use the Dell laptop's product key it should work. Sometimes if the licenses are different - OEM/Retail - you may have a problem, but definitely worth a go nevertheless. You will know if it works or not when entering the product key about 5-10 minutes into the process. If you choose to do it this way, you may need to download drivers for the motherboard chipset, LAN, audio, etc.

"If so do you still put in the key or do you have to phone somewhere to do it manually."

As above, you will need to enter the Dell's product key during the install. If it works, the next step is attempting an online re-activation once the install is completed & you're in Windows. If online activation is unsuccessful, you'll get an applet with the necessary info to call Microsoft (a screenshot of the applet click here). The call is free, & the entire process is usually automated these days - the only time I find it fine not to speak to a human being when dealing with support issues! Just have a pen & paper to hand to carefully jot down the codes - i.e. instead of trying to enter them as they're being called out. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017