Will this Wireless Router increase wi fi range?

livewire 15:19 02 Jun 2008

Hi,

I have a DG834G by Netgear and I have one room in the house where the wirless only gets 1 bar and drops out often.

If I purchase this DG834N reviewed by PCA here: click here

Will this actually increase the range? Or will it just be faster with no additional range?

Many Thanks for any help!

handful 16:43 02 Jun 2008

Hi livewire. I can't specifically answer your question but I would say you need to do 2 things before splashing out.
1.Where is the router and could anything be interfering with the signal, such as a video sender or wireless telephone etc.
2. What receiver are you using? USB dongle, wireless adaptor etc. I had a problem with my DLink router with range on both of these but with a laptop the signal is 5 bars everywhere in the house.

livewire 17:05 02 Jun 2008

Hi, thanks for your reply

I have the router as far away as the telephone line can go to reach it where I want it to go.

Ive got 3 laptops, one with a Netgear Rangemax card, one with an Intel a/b/g and another with a Netgear "normal" G card.

They all hover at 1 bar of signal in the room I want to reach.

While 1 bar is enough for about 100k down, it occasionally drops out which cancels any download / game that i'm running.

I'm just not sure if these N routers increase range, or just make it faster?

Ditch999 17:05 02 Jun 2008

My router recently died (Linksys WAG54G) so I bought a Linksys WAG325N and the signal strength through the whole house is about 20-30% better.
A big improvement for a wireless PC with a PCI wireless adapter is to but an aerial extension and bring the aerial out from behind the PC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 02 Jun 2008
  woodchip 17:23 02 Jun 2008

You can get Modem/Routers with a Range Extender built in my 3Com as one, but can still have problems with all the walls in the house. You are better if you can put the modem upstairs

livewire 18:12 02 Jun 2008

Ive spoke with Amazon and Netgear on the phone with Netgear saying the Wirless G router I have is quite old, which is true, its more than 3 years old. Hopefully the "6 antennas" and "RangeMax" will push up my wireless from 1 bar to something like 2 or 3.

Its only a bit more reliability that I need, I can play say 5 rounds of Nintendo Wii and it might cut out. Surely these "4x better than Wirless G" and "Super G" products can lift the bar.

Amazon have said they will accept a return if it doesnt work as expected on the page.

So we'll see how it goes and i'll post back!

Thanks for your help!

wjrt 18:20 02 Jun 2008

might this product help
click here

livewire 18:57 02 Jun 2008

I looked at the homeplugs.. but I thought they only give signal in a small area (ie to cover a single room?)

wjrt 21:34 02 Jun 2008

click here
fourth diagram down : homeplug connected to wireless router and in problem room wireless homeplug connects to laptop

livewire 23:46 02 Jun 2008

I'll defo give the homeplugs a go if this new Router wont do the job.

Well.. homeplugs are really the only choice I suppose!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?