Will a webcam do this?

andy625 19:37 03 May 2006

I need to record a training session onto a digital video file. I've never used a webcam before, but can anyone tell me whether it would be possible to use a webcam + suitable software to record sound and video in a quality good enough to show full screen on a laptop, with good sound quality also?

If so, what spec would I be looking for for the webcam? ie megapixels? and what software would I need to record?

Last question - would it be possible to have the laptop recording the sound/video minimised in the background, whilst the delegate is running a powerpoint presentation?

anskyber 20:18 03 May 2006

Many webcams come with their own recording software. I have a Logitech pro 4000 which allows a recording and I can send it via e-mail or of course use it in a Messenger setting like MSN Messenger or Skype. But, while the quality is very good for that sort of environment but I suspect it will not be good enough for your intended purpose. Webcams are relatively cheap so you may wish to experiment with one first. I would expect you to conclude that an inexpensive digital video cam will serve your purpose much better.

Yes you should be able to record to a laptop almost certainly using the bundled software with the video cam. The issue will be is your particular laptop speced up enough to do it?

Stuartli 21:12 03 May 2006

The maximum resolution of the majority of webcams is 640x480 - there is normally no real reason for it to be any higher for its intended purpose.

Stuartli 21:12 03 May 2006

If you have a digital camera these can often be used as webcams - the quality would be far superior.

andy625 21:14 03 May 2006

My laptop is a 1G IBM Thinkpad with XP, and 40Gb hard drive with 22Gb space.

Will a webcam give a quality of recording on a par with that of an average digital video camera?

andy625 21:16 03 May 2006

Sorry I think I posted as you were replying. What resolution would an average video camera be, compared to a good digital camera and webcam?

Stuartli 22:52 03 May 2006

The higher the MP specification the better the quality.

Even a 1MB or 2MB cheap digital model will deliver superior quality, but it will have to be able to be used as a webcam. Webcams usually come with a 0.3MP CMOS or CCD sensor.

Some of the Fuji and, IIRC, Canon digital cameras can be used for the purpose; individual models' specifications will detail use as a webcam if available.

anchor 09:30 04 May 2006

If you have, or can borrow, a digital camcorder to make your recording, the results should be very good.

Upload the video into Windows Movie maker, edit if necessary, and save it as a wmv file. This can be burnt to CD, and played on any PC or laptop with Windows Media Player.

I have done this and have been delighted with the result.

andy625 10:44 04 May 2006

Thanks for the posts. Sounds like I would be better off with a digital video camera, especially as we will probably be doing this more in the future.

Stuartli 11:04 04 May 2006

As anchor points out using a digital camcorder will almost certainly prove a more viable proposition.

Apart from the better picture and sound quality, you will be able to move around the area and shoot scenes from different angles and distances.

A webcam would be limited to the length of the lead to your computer system..:-)

Its only real benefit would be that the recording to the hard disk would be instantaneous.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?