Will this video card work with my system?

jrkillingsworth8 12:32 29 Aug 2009

Hi, i just bought a new video card. But when i installed it, the monitor kept giving me a "No Signal" error. BFG told me to reinstall the drivers for the old onboards graphic and then disable it. This did not help at all. Then they told me to upgrade my motherboard drivers. This also didn't change anything. She then said it might just be a defective video card. Any suggestions? Thanks an advance for any advice.

Its a Geforce 9500 GT 1GB DDR 2 PCI Express x16 graphics card.

My old video card was a Geforce 8500Gt.

Motherboard
*Model: RS480-M
*Chipset: ATI XPRESS 200(RS480) Rev. 01
*Southbridge: ATI SB400
*LPCIO: ITE IT8712

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
3500+
2.20GHZ, 2.00GB of Ram

Panther
450W Power Supply

Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002
Service Pack 3

GaT7 15:13 29 Aug 2009

Try the card in another suitable (PCI-E) system if possible.

Another thing you can try is resetting the motherboard CMOS. Usually it's just a case of temporarily changing a jumper position, then reverting to the original before booting up again. Your motherboard manual will tell you how to do this.

Why did you change the graphics card may I ask? The 9500 is probably only marginally better. G

jrkillingsworth8 18:20 29 Aug 2009

Hi and thanks for your response Crossbow7.

Because just got Champions online and wanted a better video card for it. So it could run at a better setting. The back of the box says it has 3xs the performance of the 8500gt. Thats why i also just upgraded the ram and the power supply(well the power supply was for the video card).

And if i don't have a manual for my motherboard? Will i still be able to reset the CMOS? Never have resetted a CMOS before.

What is a good video card that doesn't cost over$90.00 to $100.00?

GaT7 18:53 29 Aug 2009

"And if i don't have a manual for my motherboard?" - you can download it from the motherboard manufacturer's website. Provide the make & model number & we can help you with a link if required.

Well, a ATI HD 4670 is a better card, & most likely wouldn't have required any PSU upgrade - e.g. click here. If you're in the US, then this HIS 1Gb one for $75 will be arguably the best click here. As you can see, most of these cards have large coolers that'll occupy 1-2 adjacent slots, so you'll want to check if you have sufficient space.

More 4670s at click here. Or, use a cheaper/your favourite store if you have one.

Btw, a 9500GT isn't anywhere near 3x the performance of a 8500gt. G

GaT7 18:57 29 Aug 2009

From the review of the Sapphire-branded card click here:

"Pros: BLOWS AWAY MY OLD SPARKLE 9500GT!!!..."

I'd still recommend the HIS 1Gb card if you have the space. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?