Will upgrading RAM increase performance?

KingOfAllThePandas 18:32 16 Aug 2013

I have a Viao with an i5-3337u, 1 stick of 4gb 1600Mhz RAM and a 1gb GeForce 740m. I use the laptop for the internet, BluRay playback (and output to a larger monitor)and some gaming (older games and some newer titles), but I'm not a PC gamer primarily. Anyway will i see any performance increase if I add another stick of 4gb RAM? If so what specs of the original inboard memory do i need to match in order to have a matched pair.

The onboard memory is a single 4gb module of 1600 MT/s DDR3L-SDRAM, so if i were to buy a stick of 4gb DDR3 204 Pin 1600MHz PC3-12800 SO-DIMM ram, would that be matched? Also is a card with four of eight modules superior?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:31 16 Aug 2013

Yes you would see a performance increase

The crucial scanner will tell you what memory will fit in your machine

Its then up to you whether you buy from crucial or somewhere else.

Also is a card with four of eight modules superior? I don't think it makes any difference

KingOfAllThePandas 19:40 16 Aug 2013

Lovely. Are their any brands of memory that its best to stick with/ avoid when buying memory.

Ian in Northampton 20:30 16 Aug 2013

Crucial aren't the cheapest, but they have an excellent reputation, good customer service and a pretty decent guarantee.

I'm surprised Fruit Bat /\0/\ didn't ask, but - what operating system are you running? A 32-bit OS (XP, some flavours of Vista and W7) can't access more than 3.5GB of memory, so an upgrade wouldn't do you any good. But if you're running a 64-bit OS then, yes, it will.

KingOfAllThePandas 23:48 16 Aug 2013

Win 8 64 bit

rdave13 01:11 17 Aug 2013

I'm not so sure if the outlay would be worth it unless you run an SSD. As it's a laptop then I don't think you would bennefit much. You'd have next to 50% idle most of the time. Check task manager when you use your software how much ram is used as is.

Secret-Squirrel 09:51 17 Aug 2013

Well said Dave.

There's a very common fallacy that says that a computer's performance will always increase with more RAM. In fact its performance will only increase if the computer has insufficient RAM for the OS and all running programs.

Your suggestion of using Task Manager is a quick 'n' easy way to tell if any performance issues are being caused by too little RAM.

KingOfAllThePandas, open all the apps and programs you'd normally have running at the same time then go into Task Manger, click the "Performance" tab, click on "Memory" on the left-hand side, and then look at how much memory has been consumed - see here for an example. If you discover that you still have plenty of memory free then adding more RAM will be a waste of your time and money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?