Will My Serial code work on XP

futurekid 15:10 13 Aug 2006

hi,

I have a legal windows xp pro serial from a disk
But sadly i have now lost the disk. Due to moving house and i cant find it anywhere.

So does anyone know that if i was to use my mates legal copy xp pro would my xp pro serial work with it for activation.

Thanks

Ben

sean-278262 15:14 13 Aug 2006

Yes this will be fine and as far as I know is perfectly legal as you own the code and all the disks are basically the same. However if your mates disk is a branded OEM it may not work. If it is one of these

click here

Then it will work fine. I do it all the time when working on friends computers as it saves waiting hours for them to find the disks.

futurekid 15:18 13 Aug 2006

i am new to this

So when u go to activate will it ask you to enter your serial,

Never done it before you see in the past my laptop came with, recovery and never needed activation. it also had several gigs of pre installed crap.

James. 15:21 13 Aug 2006

You willbe asked to enter the serial number during installation. Activation comes later when you are up and running, and should be achieved without any problems.

dontmeshwithme 15:21 13 Aug 2006

The problem may come with activation. If you have already registered your serial number on another PC then depending on the license Microsoft may not allow it on another computer. IE if yours is OEM (it came preloaded on another pc) then you will not be allowed to install it on a new pc even if the old one has died. However if it is a retail version (ie you went to pc world and paid for it) then they will let you intall it on another computer providing you only use it on one pc at a time. As for what disc you use they are all pretty much identical.

mattyc_92 15:24 13 Aug 2006

When you are installing Windows XP, it will ask for your serial. This is your 25 digit code (consisting of numbers and letters). Type this in and continue with the installation....

Once Windows is installed, it will demand to be "activated" either by the phone or the internet (you have 30 days to complete this).
If you activate by the net, you wont have to do anything, as it will do it all automatically.
If you use the "phone" option, simply jot down the "Activation Code" it gives you and give this to the "Microsoft Agent" on the phone. He/she will, in turn, give you the "Unlock Code" which you type into the "Windows Activation Tool".

futurekid 15:25 13 Aug 2006

The disk i had, was retail, and it was installed on my laptop, which died and is now in a skip crushed, so if my mates is retail my code should work should it?

Thanks

Ben.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 13 Aug 2006

Yes

dontmeshwithme 17:31 13 Aug 2006

Yes, providing it is also windows xp pro. You might need to call microsoft for activation (it will ask you to do this during the activation process), just tel them whats happened. They will know that you have a retail version from the serial number and all will be fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?