Will my old drive caddy allow USB upgrade?

Pineman100 15:08 22 Jan 2014
Answered

I have an old backup HDD in a USB caddy, which I bought about 6 - 7 years ago. The drive inside the caddy has a very small capacity, so I want to upgrade it by fitting a 2TB SATA drive (3.5in).

I think the caddy is designated USB 1.0, but my computer today has USB 3.0 capability. What defines the USB capability of the HDD in the caddy - is it the computer, the USB cable, the external HDD, or is it the circuit board in the caddy itself?

If I'm stuck with a USB 1.0 capability, then I might as well buy a new caddy with the new HDD.

All advice much appreciated!

wee eddie 15:22 22 Jan 2014
Answer

It's cheaper to buy a Ready Made External hard Drive.one than buy the parts separately and make it up yourself.

If you already have a spare hard Drive then you will need to get a USB3 Caddy. Remember that with older Hard Drives you may need to specify a different/particular connection for the Hard Drive within the Caddy.

Pineman100 15:31 22 Jan 2014

wee eddie - that's very helpful, thank you. Based on your advice I have done a bit of internet research, and you're right - the price difference between a naked HDD and one already in a USB 3.0 caddy is negligible, so I've opted for the complete device.

Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017