Will my Modem work on new Computer..?

Chrisann 13:50 29 Sep 2006

I am currently online on my old comp set...a Packard Bell 2001 running Windows M.E. and connected to the Internet via dial up and a Modem.

Can I disconnect my modem from old comp and reconnect to This new comp a HP Pavillion 7510 running Windows XP ...not sure really..I want to go to Broadband soon but really need to get online with the new set up as soon as...Can I do it or do I need to buy another Modem etc.?

Chrisann..

iscanut 13:53 29 Sep 2006

No reason at all why your dial up modem should not work on any other computer. You may need an origianl disc/cd with the modem drivers on it, although XP may manage without. Try it and see.

Stuartli 13:55 29 Sep 2006

Depends on whether the new system has a spare PCI slot (I'm assuming it's an internal dialup modem); there certainly shouldn't be any problem using it.

XP should, when booted up, Find New Hardware and install the necessary drivers for the modem from its database.

However, providing this is the case, it would be a good idea to check from the modem manufacturer's website if any newer XP drivers are available.

Chrisann 15:56 29 Sep 2006

The set up doesn't seem to have any connection for a modem apart from an Ethernet connection and a C.D. for LAN with a small cable which appears to screw in to the back and looks like a small tower connector. Will this only work if I am on Broadband then? Should I install this C.D. or not..and does this mean I cannot connect re dial up then.?

Chrisann

ed-0 16:16 29 Sep 2006

" Should I install this C.D. or not."

Not

.and does this mean I cannot connect re dial up then.?

Unfortunatley you can not use the new computer for dial-up, untill you fit a modem.

You could use the modem from your old system, if you have a spare PCI slot. As above.

Or

You could buy an external 56K modem.

or

you could convert to broadband ( if you can get it )

If you would like to move your internal modem to your new machine and you have the driver disk. Post back and someone will give you detailed instructions. It is very easy;-)

961 16:18 29 Sep 2006

You can buy an external dial up modem with a usb connection to connect to your computer for about £12. This is the easiest way. From Microdirect or similar

Alternatively if your old modem is on a pci internal card it would be necessary to remove it from the old computer and install in the new. You can of course buy a new internal pci modem for around £8 or so. However both these options involve opening the case of the new computer which may affect the warranty

Stuartli 16:20 29 Sep 2006

What type and model of dialup modem do you have?

According to the specs for your system it only has one PCI slot:

click here

Chrisann 16:28 29 Sep 2006

So if wait and go Broadband with my new set up..do I then install this C.D. marked LAN etc. Is this to give me a Wireless connection.?

I then assume thatmy old set on Windows M.E. won't run on Broadband will it.? As I want to go Broadband anyway it may be worth me waiting instead of coughing out money needlessly anyway?

Chrisann.

ed-0 16:42 29 Sep 2006

" So if wait and go Broadband with my new set up..do I then install this C.D. marked LAN etc."

No. Most broadband modems connect to a usb port. You will have those on the rear of your new computer.

" Is this to give me a Wireless connection.? "

No again. If you want a wireless connection, you would need to purchase a WiFi modem. ISP's don't usually give you them free. They do give you an external broadband modem for free.

" I then assume that my old set on Windows M.E. won't run on Broadband will it.?"

Yes it will.

" As I want to go Broadband anyway it may be worth me waiting instead of coughing out money needlessly anyway? "

Average cost is around £14.99 a month for unlimited broadband. That means download as much as you want, sensibly, 1 or 2Mb connection ( if your line supports it and a free connection and modem. My Isp gives me unlimited broadband and all my phone calls for £19.99 a month.

ed-0 16:44 29 Sep 2006

" So if wait and go Broadband with my new set up..do I then install this C.D. marked LAN etc."

No. Most broadband modems connect to a usb port. You will have those on the rear of your new computer. To connect to broadband is easy. You just insert the cd and follow the simple screen shots. If you were to sign up today, you could be enabled by next weekend. It may take a day or two longer.

Chrisann 16:50 29 Sep 2006

Well thanks all for your replies..I will go and connect up with Broadband then..sounds easier..but so what is this C.D. disk and small antenna ariel for then...as it has come with this comp set up..what use is it..if any? Must be for something?

Chrisann.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?