will my DELL PC accept and recognize.......?

Antonio Machado 15:58 24 Aug 2009

Hello experts !

I have a DELL Precision 370 with 4GB of RAM installed, but as I work with Windows XP (Pack 3) it just recognizes 3 GB of RAM. So now I am considering getting the Windows 7 (64 bits).

My questions for you are: will my PC accept and handle the 64 bit version ? if so, will it recognize and handle the 4 GB of RAM I already have installed ?

I have been trying to ask these questions to DELL but I always find some technical problem to access to their Customer Service, Technical Service, Forums, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help. Best, Antonio.

crosstrainer 16:14 24 Aug 2009

In theory, yes, but Dell's have a strange architecture. I can see no reason why you could not use 64 bit Windows Vista or 7

Drivers for 64 bit operating systems are still few and far away. Your machine may work...But your sound...Video etc. may not.

retep888 16:46 24 Aug 2009

Download it from click here install and run,it'll tell you whether your PC can run or if there are any incompatibility problem.

I guess you might have video and sound driver problems,if you do, try downloading and use the XP driver instead,it might work.

Antonio Machado 17:31 24 Aug 2009

Here what I have: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3 (to be upgraded to Windows 7). Computer: Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4CPU 3.00 GHz, 2.99 GHz, 2.75 GB of RAM (but actually I have 4.0 GB of RAM installed). Does this information helps my friends ? should I upgrade my processor ? if so, which one would be suitable for my project of getting the Windows 7 in 64 bit version ?

Thanks in advance, best, Antonio.

malgall 18:07 24 Aug 2009

i think you will find that windows xp will only see or use 3gb of ram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?