Will memory of a faster speed work?

NChick 18:53 26 Feb 2009

Hi. Considering a memory upgrade for my desktop.
The motherboard manual states "Supports the following memory speeds: DDR SDRAM PC2100/PC1600", with two slots, each accomodating up to 1gb.
I have located a similar module, 184pin 1gb.
click here
Will this still work? This seems to be the closest match, and nice and cheap too.
I currently have a 256mb module in each slot, but I can only really afford the one 1gb. I presume I'll still get the combined total (1gb + 256mb) but that the memory will run at the slowest speed.
So, in closing, will the above module work?
Thanks in advance.

tullie 19:07 26 Feb 2009

If you go to the Crucial wesite and do a scan,it will tell you what youve got,and what you can add.

DieSse 19:16 26 Feb 2009

Maybe - maybe not - or even worse it may work with occasional errors,

If your motherboard manufacturer says what speed it supports - believe them. It'a not just a question of it working at a different speed, timing tolerances may be different, and lead to the disaster of occasional errors. A lot depends on the motherboard specs too.

It's also a bad idea to mix RAM with different speed specifications - once again it may lead to occasional errors.

Unfortunately there's no way of knowing either way.

Another aspect - if your motherboard supports dual channel RAM, then putting different size modules in the two slots (or RAM into just one slot) will take away the extra speed of dual channel working.

Quiller. 19:24 26 Feb 2009

click here

Check to see if your motherboard supports high density, most don't.

Quiet Life 23:47 26 Feb 2009

see here click here
It should be OK

Quiller. 11:09 27 Feb 2009

Yes but the details say it is 128 X 64 bit or high density

click here

As above, check the motherboard can support igh density e.g. 128M

DieSse 11:55 27 Feb 2009

And notice that all of these write up about compatability say weasel words like "usually".

In other words they might well work - and they might not. And as I say, the worst thing possible is that they seem to work, but in hard use give occasional errors - and if you get an error it could just screw your system catastrophically.

So better stick to what the manufacturer specifies.

And as dave_1 says - look out for compatability of high density modules - unfortunately the high-density ones are normally the cheap ones!

NChick 15:00 27 Feb 2009

Didn't it used to be a case of matching the pins and type and just putting it in the slot? Now there's all this high density and low density and this and that to consider - I would have thought memory was the simplest thing :S
This is to give me a speed boost until I can back up my data and format my pc - not something I'm looking forward to doing, as even with backups, I'm still gonna lose a lot. It's in such a state now that my only option is to wipe everything, as it was with my laptop. :S
Is there some website/program I can run that will 100% tell me whether or not I can use the memory I've got my eye on?

citadel 15:05 27 Feb 2009

download your motherboard manual, it will state which memory can be installed.

NChick 15:16 27 Feb 2009

It's where I got the info from in the first place, I quoted it precisely! :) but here goes again
"+Accomodates two unbuffered 2.5V 184-pin slots
+Supports the following memory speeds: DDR SDRAM: PC2100/PC1600
+Each slot supports up to 1 GB with a total maximum capacity of 2 GB"

other memory-related quote...

"Advanced high-performance DDR SDRAM memory types"
I see no mention of anything reffering to high or low density, simply things like voltage settings and transfer rates.

MAJ 15:20 27 Feb 2009

Make and model of your motherboard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone