Will a Mains Powered USB Hub run an External HDD

wee eddie 15:53 11 Aug 2013
Answered

Will a Mains Powered USB Hub supply sufficient power to, easily, run an External HDD?

Or

Should I buy another Mains Powered External Hard Drive?

Chronos the 2nd 16:14 11 Aug 2013

Is the external HDD not in a powered caddy? The reason I ask is I have not come across an un-powered external HDD.

I think I am missing something. Can you explain in a little more detail? But I very much doubt whether a powered hub will supply enough power.

iscanut 19:41 11 Aug 2013

I run an external hard drive from USB hub, but it takes two USB ports to use it, one of which I presume is for power, the other for the USB operation.

wee eddie 20:01 11 Aug 2013

Chronos: None of the Portable USB2/3 External Hard Drives appear to have any mains power facility, that was why I was wondering.

iscanut: You reckon that a pair of USB2 cables is de-rigeur then?

rdave13 21:53 11 Aug 2013

I have two types of caddies. One type with a power brick and the other type with a split usb cable, for power, the other cable is for e-sata connection.

Sorry, I have three types. The third is a 2.5" caddy. Mini usb to caddy and split usb to PC, so supplies power and data. So the question is, what source does the HDD require? If usb then a hub is OK as it is powered.

wee eddie 04:17 12 Aug 2013
Answer

More research needed, on the type of cable provided, but it's a 7 Socket Hub and several are unused at the present.

Thanks all, for your input. Eddie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?