will IDE HDD talk to new SATA HDD in Vista PC?

Spiny 10:06 25 Oct 2007

I am hoping to take the old IDE drive out of my 1998 Dell Dimension (W95 OS2) and connect it up externally to my new Vista PC. I am hoping to use an HDD caddy with a USB2 or eSATA connection. I have read through previous posts on this subject but I have a couple of unresolved questions. I think the formatting on my old disk is FAT. Will this cause an issue with the SATA / Vista set up in my new PC? Also, is my new OS likely to have any problems with the Windows 95 created data files (MS Word) on my old drive?

Taff™ 10:48 25 Oct 2007

There shouldn`t be any problem with the external drive set up and Vista. I have an old IDE disc in a caddy formatted in FAT32 and it works fine with Vista.

The OS (Vista) won`t have any problems with MS Word files because they are just files. You will have to have a version of Office installed on the Vista machine to open Word documents and this might be a problem since there are known compatibility issues with Office pre Office 2003 and Vista, particularly with Outlook.

If you find the thought of buying Office 2003/2007 a bit of a financial problem try OpenOffice which is free to download from click here - I am pretty sure it will open your files and you can then set OpenOffice to save files in Word (.doc) format.

harry12 14:58 25 Oct 2007

just to add to the above, if you only want to read Word documents download Microsoft Word Viewer.

Spiny 20:29 26 Oct 2007

Many thanks for that. I will order a caddy and crack on with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?