Will I be able boot from a USB floppy drive?

Batch 15:07 03 Oct 2007

I have 2 PCs. One a 6+ year old Mesh Desktop (Athlon 1100 on Asus A7V133 mobo, Award Medallion BIOS v6.0/rev.1009), the other a 2 year old Samsung lappie (Intel Pentium M 1.73Ghz on an Intel mobo, Phoenix BIOS v03SB).

The Mesh has a floppy drive that has crapped out (probably due to the fact that I left a floppy in it for months). I do occasionally have use for the floppy drive (e.g. to make boot floppies that I can then use [via Nero] as a source for creating boot CDs when the original software won't make boot CDs [as in Partition Magic 8]). So I'm tempted to replace it - so I thought that I might get a USB FDD with a view to it being usable on both machines.

Now, my queries relate to whether a USB floppy would actually be bootable on each of these PCs?

In the Mesh's BIOS, one of the boot device options is:

- "Removable Device" where one can select "USB FDD" (from a sub-list which also includes Disabled, Legacy Floppy, LS-120 [whatever happened to them?], ZIP, ATAPI MO, USB FDD and USB ZIP). This suggests it should work, but will it in practice?

The Samsung does not have an onboard floppy drive. In the Samsung's BIOS apart from the HDD and CD/DVD, the only boot device is "Removable Device" with no sub-list to select anything specific. Is this likely to be appropriate to support a USB FDD?

I realise that there isn't a strong argument for getting a floppy at all. But would still be interested to know the answers.

Thanks.

woodchip 15:16 03 Oct 2007

It all depends on the BIOS, My Medion Laptop will boot from Sony USB floppy. You need to check the BIOS to see if it supports it

norman47 19:12 03 Oct 2007

the Asus A7V133 motherboard will boot from a usb floppy drive.

it is under removable devices, legacy floppies, USB FDD.

check that the laptop can do the same.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:52 03 Oct 2007

In the Mesh's BIOS, one of the boot device options is:

- "Removable Device" where one can select "USB FDD"

set it to above save and exit rebbot with a bootable floppy in the drive (i.e. Win98 floppy) and see if it works.

If not you can always change the BIOS back again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:53 03 Oct 2007

Just make sure USB for DOS is also enaled in the BIOS.

Batch 18:30 04 Oct 2007

Thanks for the input guys. As you can see from my original post, I had checked the BIOS on both PCs already, but, to me, that doesn't mean that it will actually work.

Anyhow, it dawned on me that I probably had an old floppy drive from an earlier system in the attic. All sorted now (till the next time).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?