will games for windows 95 run on windows xp

homer1309 14:19 24 Oct 2004

i am trying to run the game forumla 1 "97" (which was desigined to run on a windows 95 / 97 opperating system) on my pc which is now using windows xp pro. however the game will not even load. the error message just states will not run with win nt. i have heard the it may be possible to make it think that it is running with 95 / 97 but have no idea how this works....your help needed please all.

chub_tor 14:33 24 Oct 2004

Assuming the game is installed on your PC have you tried right mouse clicking on the launch icon and selecting Winsows 95 from the Compatibility Tab?

bremner 14:36 24 Oct 2004

As the game will not even load you can not make use of the compatability mode mentioned above.

Unfortuanately there is nothing that can be done - unless you set up a dual boot with your Win 95 O/S.

homer1309 14:37 24 Oct 2004

the game will not install at all from the cd rom. your suggestion was going to be my first port of call but im not yet at the stage where the game is on my pc

homer1309 14:40 24 Oct 2004

thanks bremner, it is as i feared but i just needed to here it from someone else. ill leave the discussion open for a while just incase but im sure that i have my answer. cheers for the help

chub_tor 14:47 24 Oct 2004

I guess I was confused about the difference between install and load. I use the terms differently. I assumed that the game was installed on the machinen but that it wouldn't load when you clicked on the icon to make it run.

homer1309 14:50 24 Oct 2004

my fault, try to be a bit more accurate infuture. many thanks for the answers.

Completealias 14:54 24 Oct 2004

Just one more thought b4 you give up you can get the program compatability wizard to work with a program in your cd-rom.

Just open the prog compability wizard and choose the I want to use the program in the CD-ROM drive option it may work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?