Will DVD Rom read DVD+R discs?

rdh660 17:08 03 Dec 2003

I have a Sony DVD-Rom drive and have just been given a dual DVD writer. I like to backup important data to CD in case of problems and now plan to burn such data to DVD discs because of the extra space they provide.
As DVD+ seems to be the faster option I was wondering if I back up to this format rather than DVD- will my ordinary DVD Rom drive be able to read these discs or will they only be readable in the DVD writer. Similarly what is the situation with DVD-R discs and the rewriteable forms of both?

Thanks
Rob

kinger 17:27 03 Dec 2003

An ordinary DVD player (under the TV) can't read DVD data discs. You will need to read your discs using the computer.

rdh660 17:34 03 Dec 2003

Thanks Kinger but........I think I have not been too clear with my question.
I have a DVD Rom drive in my PC and usually back up data to CDR disks from a separate CDRW drive.
I am now hoping to use my new DVD writer which replaces the CDRW to backup.
Will my DVD Rom drive be able to read these backups if they are in DVD+ or DVD- form or will they have to be read by the DVD writer.

Sorry for the poorly put question

Rob

Quiller. 18:02 03 Dec 2003

Well the DVDrom will read the DVD-r disks. They do read on my dvdrom after being burned from the separate dvd writer. My writer only uses the -r format. So I am unsure if a +r disk would also be read. You would think so or what would be the point of having that format for a computer.

I think you will find that the -r disks are slightly cheaper and more easily to be found.The retail price of +r disks is astronomical but you can buy them a lot cheaper on the web.

Hope this helps a little. :)

Quiller. 00:51 04 Dec 2003

^

alcudia 08:28 04 Dec 2003

Best to look at the spec supplied with the drive. Mine will read all types EXCEPT dvd+r

rdh660 08:43 04 Dec 2003

Thanks everyone. Once again the forum comes to the rescue.
regards
rdh1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?