Will do a system recovery remove my Windows VIsta?

clj7 21:48 14 Oct 2008

Ok,I just upgraded from XP to Vista a few months ago. Since then, my PC has been quite slow. So I think it would be the best if I switched back to XP, and I still prefer using that OS.

So is there a way I can just remove the OS, and then it'll just go back to XP? I thought if I backuped all my files and then do that process where you restart your Hard Drive back to the way it was when you first bought it would probably do it. But I'm worried that everything will be gone, but Vista still remains as the OS.

Can someone explain if it would work? And if not, is there a way to do it without buying XP again?

T I M B O 21:58 14 Oct 2008

In my experence that going from xp to vista is not always a good move on that old pc.

1) If you have another hard drive thats inside that pc, then backup all ur data that you wish to keep.

2) If ur vista install created a hidden partition then you need to remove that, i think to start a complete fresh is best, so you need to download Darik's Boot and Nuke click here
you can put this onto a pen drive or burn to a cd.

3) Remove any hard drives that you do not want to wipe then put the cd with Darik's Boot and Nuke (Dban) and once it boots up into dban just type "autonuke" and then walk away till it's completed.

Basically what this is doing is removing all from that hard drive so you can start a complete fresh.

4) Put xp cd into cdrom> format to ntfs> install xp.

Best of luck..

P.s, some may think this an overkill, but i know this does a good job.

Graham. 08:54 15 Oct 2008

If you don't have an XP CD (not many people do), this is not an option. You can buy one from Ebuyer, but this will not install any software (Office, for example) that came with the PC.

Do you have Recovery CDs?

Graham. 09:11 15 Oct 2008

But it's a lot of faffing about click here

pk46 11:53 15 Oct 2008

If your running an older PC you need 2GB of Ram even for Vista Basic my 4 year old PC works ok but is not as fast as my new one that came with 3GB Ram and a dual core processor.
Windows XP comes onto extended support next year
till 2014 they should have given W2000 the same life span support ends 2010.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?