Will Acronis back up Vista and XP together?

Zebrapec 11:57 02 Jul 2008

Hi, I have had an Acronis external hard drive for a couple of years now connected to my winXP set up, mainly due to only having a 40G drive and 1000's of photo's. I now have a winVista on a brand new computer, but have the same Acronis external drive (USB) connected, because I want to tranfer/use some of the stuff on my new computer. The question is:
1.can I still use the external drive for backing up VISTA as I did before with XP.
2.Can I have both OS (vista and XP) on the same Acronis external hard drive, sitting side by side.
3.If I can use it for my Vista, will/could it wipe/overwrite all my old, but needed files/photo's.

Technotiger 12:30 02 Jul 2008

1. Yes.

2. Not sure exactly what you mean, but if you mean keeping your old XP Backup and new Vista Backup on the same drive - Yes, in separate folders.

3. If you mean as in my answer 2. then I would say Yes - but Not if you mean running the two OS's side by side, I think that would bring complications.

You can of course run both systems on one drive (your main C:) by Dual booting. Simply Google for How to .......

Zebrapec 12:47 02 Jul 2008

Ok thanks, that has answered all my questions, will let you know if I hit a problem. Thanks again

Technotiger 12:47 02 Jul 2008

Your welcome - Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?