"Wiki Style" pages

montyburns 10:18 12 Aug 2006

I'm setting up a few "ordinary" web pages as info/home pages on a phpBB forum I run, work related

I'm intrigued with the idea of setting one up as a "Wiki" page, which fellow forum members can add to. Is this possible? If so, is it relatively easy?! Can anyone suggest any good software for this?

Thanks muchly in advance!

Forum Editor 12:43 13 Aug 2006

a Content Management System (CMS), and there are many available applications.

click here for an overview.
but beware of the pitfalls - a CMS has to be watched as closely as a forum, otherwise you'll have all kinds of inappropriate content being added. This has been a major problem for WikiPedia, who found that lots of people were adding stuff that was factually incorrect/biased, or just plain libellous.

montyburns 13:40 13 Aug 2006

Thanks for this

"but beware of the pitfalls - a CMS has to be watched as closely as a forum, otherwise you'll have all kinds of inappropriate content being added. This has been a major problem for WikiPedia, who found that lots of people were adding stuff that was factually incorrect/biased, or just plain libellous"

I know what you mean, but I'm hoping that the people involved in it's use will be responsible enough! I guess it's those that just happen upon it I'll need to watch!

Forum Editor 19:03 13 Aug 2006

The chance visitors do most of the damage. I put up a forum on a client's site recently (an international environmental-protection charity), and within days - due to their total neglect of moderation - there were dozens and dozens of abusive messages. I cleared the decks for them, gave their nominated staff member a quick training course on how to moderate a forum, and left them to it.

A week later they asked me to remove the forum from the site - the moderator couldn't cope with the incessant flow of rubbish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?