wifi will not connect

nyleridedog 19:46 30 Oct 2007

Hi everyone, hope you can help

I have a msi laptop with an intel pro wireless/bluetooth built in! xp sp2 and have bougt my self a belkin 54g wifi router!

I switched on the router and then the laptop! the laptop connected fine after a few reboots and let windows manage my wifi turned on. i was surfing away on the net!

Then later on when i try to connect it will not! no wep. no wpa no security set up at this stage!

I turn on my wifi on the laptop and it finds my belking54g and also other aps in the street!

it is set to connect automatically to my belking 54 g router but it will not! even when i double click on it in the found networks it just says connecting! but it never gets an ip address
firewall is off

any ideas guys and gals?

cheers

nyler

X™ 22:36 30 Oct 2007

Reset the router. Hold the reset button for 10seconds, pull out the power, leave reset button pressed and plug in, hold reset for 10-30secs til it resets lights again. This normally solved my Belkin issues.

woodchip 22:41 30 Oct 2007

You cannot connect to any router without you first put user password and ISP in to it in the setup screen

nyleridedog 23:32 30 Oct 2007

thanks x ive done that and no luck

woodchip you are right! i did enter dynamic for my cable modem.

cheers

woodchip 10:08 31 Oct 2007

You have to go into the Setup page like using IE then enter the address like mine is 192.168.1.1 with http:// before it. I typed it wrong way roun as PCA would change it to a Click Hear. Your Address may differ look at the instructions you got with the router. If it says admin when you get to it just type as Password admin press enter. You are also better using a Ethernet cable first with your Laptop just to set it up

nyleridedog 11:23 31 Oct 2007

Hi woodchip

Ive succesfully logged in and admin on many routers.it just seems to be this setup!

only now i have the router next to me and the laptop cant pick it up! i reset the router and then the laptop found it and connected straight away! surfing away! i am beginning tro think their is some kind of incompatibilty beteen the wifi card in my mesh laptop and the router!

thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?