Wifi virgin. Please help

Thesper 02:49 20 Feb 2009

Ok boys and girls, very new to wifi so if you could help I'd really appreciate it.

I've just got a wifi enabled Toshiba laptop and am trying to figure out a way of connecting to the existing wired internet connection in the house. This is only a temporary thing as I'm living with the in-laws at the momment.

The modem has no spare ethernet port.

Am I right in thinking a USB dongle into the PC could fire out a wireless signal for my Laptop to connect to or am I simply being silly???

Please help.
Thanks for reading this.
Thesper

mgmcc 08:30 20 Feb 2009

To connect your Laptop wirelessly to your in-laws' broadband they would need to have a *Wireless Router* installed.

HOWEVER:

>>> Am I right in thinking a USB dongle into the
>>> PC could fire out a wireless signal for my
>>> Laptop to connect to or am I simply being silly???

Yes, you are right. Provided the PC is running and connected to the internet, you could run an "Ad Hoc" wireless network between the two computers, enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the PC's actual internet connection (modem connection) and have simultaneous internet access in your Laptop. I have detailed step-by-step instructions for setting this up at click here although these are actually for XP rather than Vista. See how you get on and post back if you need more help for Vista.

mgmcc 21:01 20 Feb 2009

I have now written a tutorial for setting up an "Ad Hoc" wireless network with "Internet Connection Sharing" for *VISTA* click here

ambra4 02:49 21 Feb 2009

If your in-laws' broadband don’t have a *Wireless Router* installed.

Connect a 5-port switch to one of the Ethernet port on the router

D-Link 5 Port 10/100 Unmanaged Ethernet Switch

click here

Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the modem port and connect it to port 1 on the switch using a second Ethernet cable connect port 5 on the switch to the modem port

You can now connect your computer to port 2 on the switch

ambra4 02:54 21 Feb 2009

“Connect a 5-port switch to one of the Ethernet port on the router”

Sorry should read, “Connect a 5-port switch to the Ethernet port on the modem”

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?