wifi signal strength

Marko797 20:53 23 Sep 2008

wife & I have Sony Vaio laptops; mine on xp, she's on vista, both have same wifi cards as far as I know.

We are sat in same room, not less than 6ft from each other. I'm connected to internet and surfing happily, she's sat with no connection and not happy.

So we swap places. I still can connect, and she still cannot.

I take her laptop to kitchen, about 10ft away, and 'bingo' her machine connects!

Any ideas as to why?

mgmcc 21:02 23 Sep 2008

You don't say where the wireless router is located in relation to the Laptops, but I've come across a similar problem before and wonder if a signal can be too strong, resulting in overloading and an inability to connect.

Marko797 21:05 23 Sep 2008

wireless router is up stairs connected to desktop.

Both laptops are more or less equi-distant from the desktop, give or take the 6 ft or so mentioned.

Strange how one connects and other won't. This is a recent thing by the way, but there have been no system changes at all.

L8-tian 21:54 23 Sep 2008

Hi,
May i know what kind of wireless security is enabled on the router.(WEP/WPA).

L8-tian.

Marko797 22:08 23 Sep 2008

WPA as far as I'm aware.

Sometimes it comes up as limited connectivity, sometimes as unsecured, then other times as secured. Weird.

dawood 16:06 25 Sep 2008

How about just ask you wife to walk around in the room, and try to locate the best location for her laptop to connect to wireless router? You can also check some other factors that affect the wireless signal here also click here

tullie 16:07 25 Sep 2008

Plug it in

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?