Wifi sharing a standalone printer

jakb 10:05 06 Feb 2005

Hi! I have 3 wifi equipped notebooks and am planning to buy a multifunction printer with USB as its only interface. What device do I need to buy to wirelessly connect it with my notebooks?

BTW, I also have a Netgear Access Point G with 4 10/100 ehternet ports.

Thanks!

bremner 11:04 06 Feb 2005

This a solution that featured in PCA a while ago. I do not know if it suits your needs. click here

jakb 09:05 14 Feb 2005

Hi Bremner! The Canon multi-function (M730) is not currently supported by the products that you mentioned. It can only be connected to a PC using a USB cable.

Would it be possible to share using this setup:

Printer <-> USB Hub <-> Wireless AP

^
|
v
Wireless notebooks

Thanks!

LeadingMNMs 09:09 14 Feb 2005

Alternatively you could get a wireless print server click here although these are fairly expensive when compared to the price of most printers.

jakb 04:42 20 Feb 2005

Thanks Bremner and LeadingMNM! I'll perhaps wait for newer models from Canon and/or HP then trade-in my existing printer so I can have all the features that I want, e.g., MFC printer, separate ink tanks with automatic document feeders.

Regards to both of you!

FelixTCat 07:45 20 Feb 2005

You can do it with your existing setup, but it requires one computer to be on all the time, the one it is connected to.

Connect the printer to one of the computers with the USB cable and set the printer to be shared, just as if it were a drive.

The other computers will then see it on the network and will be able to print to it.

fitshase 11:06 20 Feb 2005

I'm not sure that any multifunction printer will work with a print server as the printer is also a scanner as well. If you went to scan something, the print server would probably crash.

Netgear do a USB print server (click here) which may, or may not, plug into the access point. According to the website, they have not tested it so it may work with some functionality.

Regards

Fitshase

Rioja 19:50 20 Feb 2005

You require a "PRICOM C-6200U" printer and scanner server, made by "Silex Technology", specifically for Canon mfd's. This device uses wired ethernet but does allow the sharing of the scanning function as well as printing.

I use one at work on an MP730.

Be warned, this item is hard to find and does not come cheap!

Regards,

Rioja

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?