WiFi Router - poor WiFi range

dms05 14:11 10 Jul 2006

I've recently installed a Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G ADSL Modem WiFi Router. The installation was relatively easy and all works except that the WiFi range is under 5m for line of sight.

I've tried various laptops and all produce the same result. Just to check I've added a DLink AP to the router and placed it next to the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G and get excellent results (Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G is Ch 6, DLink Ch 1 and a 3rd AP some distance away is Ch 11).

I've tried changing the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G to Ch 1 before the I installed the DLink AP but that had no effect either.

I tried limiting the laptops to 802.11b but that had no effect. I even tried limiting the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G to 802.11b as well.

WEP is enabled. Running without WEP shows little change.

I have the latest firmware installed.

Running Net Stumbler shows the Dynamode R-ADSL-C4W-G to be about 15db lower in strength than the DLink AP.

Any ideas on what else I might try?

ade.h 14:35 10 Jul 2006

You're obviously competent at this sort of thing, so I'd rule out user error in this case. Unless there is something in the router's positioning or its environment that you have missed, it points to one of two things; either the router is faulty or this is a "characteristic" of this particular router. If either is the case (the former would be more likely perhaps) then you have a solid case for returning it from whence it came!

dms05 14:44 10 Jul 2006

ade.h - 'ask for a replacement' is exactly Dynamode's official view. Can I praise Dynamodes email support - during the course of this morning we have exchanged several emails, each taking the problem a little further, and Dynamode have been informative and professional. Pity all suppliers aren't this helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?