WIFI Repeater - no internet connection.

ChrisEwan 18:08 25 Jul 2014

Greetings all.

Any insight would be great.

After recently moving housing and finding that the rear bedrooms are a wifi blackspot, I've just purchased WIFI repeater (no brand name on it or the packaging/instructions) from play.com . The item I purchased was wifi repeater

After attempting to follow the poorly worded instructions numerous times, including several factory resets, I've now managed to be able to connect my laptop to the repeater and the repeater to my Virgin wifi box. When I highlight my network item it even says virginmedia* (WIFI Repeater)

The installation wizard completes fully. I have tried to install both wirelessly and using the RJ45 cable.

Unfortunately, this seems to be as far as I can get....whilst apearing to be fully installed, when I open a web browser I cannot access any websites, saying that there is no internet connection.

Is there a conflict of IP addresses going on? The repeater sets my IPv4 address to 192.168.0.5, default to 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, however the virgin router will obviously have different address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Chris

rdave13 19:06 25 Jul 2014

As for the IP have a read of the only one customer review. Might help.

alanrwood 19:17 25 Jul 2014

I have the exact same item running in my front room. It works well but I installed it as an access point connected to the router by an existing ethernet cable. I agree the instruction leave a huge lot to be desired.

If you are using it as a extender then it needs to be in a place where it can pick up the original wireless signal which for me seems to negate its usefulness but if it is placed where it can still receive the original I guess it does extend the range

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?