WiFi Problem

curly 09:19 24 Jul 2008

I have a computer (Windows XP) that was linked to the internet via a cable to a Wireless router. The comuter has always had a wireless card (netgear)fitted but internet access was always available via the cable link. I have now removed the computer to another place (only a few feet) from the wireless router but cannot establish a wireless lik, although the netgear card seems to be active but there are no networks shown, although I know of at least three others in the local vicinity as shown on my laptop. Have I somehow locked the comuter to the cable link? If so, how can I change it to access wifi links?

^wave^ 09:59 24 Jul 2008

look in device manager and see if there is a problem with it there does it need to be turned on via a switch some laptops have a switch

curly 11:02 24 Jul 2008

I have checked devise manager and there does not seem to be a problem.

Switcher 13:07 24 Jul 2008

Have you run the wireless network setup

curly 16:33 24 Jul 2008

I have run the wireless network setup wizard, to no avail!

Clapton is God 16:53 24 Jul 2008

I recently had a problem with a laptop on which the wireless had been disabled deep within the Computer Management setup.

Your PC may not be a Dell, but this 'wizard' click here may help. It solved my problem.

Switcher 17:28 24 Jul 2008

Have you set up the wireless network on the router.

curly 16:43 25 Jul 2008

Thanks for your help. I think I must access the router and start from there. How do I access the router?

Strawballs 17:48 25 Jul 2008

You say the wireless card is netgear but what make is the router? but if you say your laptop can see other availiable networks but the desktop can't then I would say you still have a problem with the card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?