WiFi Powerline Adapters Range Extenders - Channel setting

first500 13:18 02 Jan 2014

I was a little surprised by part of the answer in the current issue (February 2014) to the magazine's Helproom question headed "Powerline Adapters". You stated that the adapter should be given a channel number "that's as far away as possible from that of the main wi-fi router".

My set-up includes a TP-Link WiFi Range Extender (TL-WA850RE). When this connects to my wifi router, it automatically assumes the SAME channel number as the router, and in fact there is no option on the web-based configuration management pages to change it. And if the router channel is changed, the Range Extender automatically follows.

As far as I can tell, there is no interference caused between the two. The only slight disadvantage I can see is that once a device has latched onto one of the signals, it stays connected to the original source even if moved close to the alternative.

So my question I guess is - is the Range Extender operating correctly, or is there some setting I've missed that would allow the channel to be set so that it doesn't interfere of weaken the source signal?

first500 11:14 03 Jan 2014

Aplologies - I posted this in the wrong forum - now located on Networking Help forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?