WiFi or Roaming? Need help pls, re these

AngeTheHippy 06:21 19 Oct 2009

Morning Chaps,
I'm off down south later today to help my Ma move into a sheltered accommodation flat. She of course doesn't have Internet access, and there will be some things I'll need to go online for (with my Lappy)once I'm there. As I've not needed to do this before, firstly I'm confused as to HOW I get away-from-home access. When on Hols recently, my son bought his Lappy with him and gained access through an unsecured connection I believe - I don't think this is what I require but need help in this. Is it only for Mobile broadband (with dongle) customers? I'm really ignorant of this subject. Many thanks,

AngeTheHippy
x

Taff™ 07:33 19 Oct 2009

The "old fashioned" dial up connection would work if you have access to a telephone line. Check with your ISP for the PAYG number.

Option 2 would be to use a Wi-Fi connection at a Macdonalds or Coffee Shop. Providing your laptop is wireless enabled you should be able to get online with a BB connection. Some places charge for this facility.

AngeTheHippy 07:39 19 Oct 2009

and thank you. Think it'll have to be a McDonalds then - so that means I'll have to buy one of their bally awful cups of Coffee 8-) .

Laptop certainly enabled, I use wireless at home. Do I need to ask my provider (The Post Office) before hand though??

Ange
x

Technotiger 07:50 19 Oct 2009

If you Google for Free Wifi Hotspots and add the name of the Town or area you are going to, you will find lots of free access points I am sure.

If you happen to be coming to my area, you would be welcome to use my own wifi FOC. I am on the South coast Hampshire.

AngeTheHippy 08:39 19 Oct 2009

thanks so much for your offer, that was very kind of you, I won't forget that. I'll be goin to the Heathrow area.. not quite as far as Hampshire 8-) .

Ange
xxx

oldbeefer2 08:55 19 Oct 2009

The other option is a PAYG Mobile dongle - they can be had quite cheaply and, I would suspect, would have a good connection in the area you're going to.

AngeTheHippy 10:13 19 Oct 2009

Thank you, yep - I'm looking into this now. T-Mobile seems the better choice...

A
x

oldbeefer2 10:33 19 Oct 2009

Bear in mind that TMobile top-up only lasts one day. Most are 30 days, but Vodaphone is 365 click here

woodchip 10:37 19 Oct 2009

I have used McDonald's Free Hotspot. If you are inside or can use it in the car near to the above. Just double click your WiFi icon in the system tray near clock to connect or right click and choose conect from list then choose McDonald's

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?