Wifi or ethernet lead - Which is best for speed

JEFoord 19:49 20 Nov 2007

Hi

I am looking to get my son a playstation 3 for xmas. There are 2 types about at the moment, 1 has an ethernet port and wifi, the other just has wifi.

I have a wireless network running already for my laptop. We will want to play playstation 3 games online against family but i am worried that there will be a lag and jerky pictures if i go for wifi. should i get the machine with an ethernet port and connect an rj45 lead?

I dont want to stream videos or anything like that, just play games.

Any advice greatly recieved.

John

iqs 19:55 20 Nov 2007

I have my PS3 connected to my NETGEAR router via Ethernet.

It was originally connected via wifi.But I noticed improved connection and download speeds with Ethernet.
So I would recommend a wired connection if the PS3 is close to the router,if not then wifi.Hope this helps...

anskyber 19:56 20 Nov 2007

It depends. The experience of some is that wifi can be a lot slower. The key is will the slowness make any material diference and the answer can depend on how and what you are using it for.

If you can get one with both you have the insurance of a choice.

JEFoord 19:58 20 Nov 2007

Thanks for the reply.

As you suggest an ethernet connection it means me looking for a 60GB model as the new 40GB model only has Wifi. Some long hard searching on its way as sony have stopped producing the 60GB model.

Technotiger 20:17 20 Nov 2007

Several 60's listed here ...

click here

JEFoord 20:24 20 Nov 2007

thanks, but most are ebay and thats alot of money to spend on ebay!

Just read an article that has made me think 40gb ps3 does have an ethernet port - just no lead.
Gonna check it out more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone