Wifi laptop -simple problem?

dmclaughlin1 23:53 10 Jan 2007

Hi looking for some help/suggestions?

I recently got a wifi laptop but im having problems as i continually get a message along the lines of "no wireless networks were found in range".

The router in my house is working as other housemates get online ok but i cant. Also whilst at my parents house i could get a connection but cant in my own house.

I did connect to the internet using the usb port could this have i disrupted the wifi connection?
I also have no SSID value, could this be the problem?

The wifi is switched on btw.

Diodorus Siculus 03:12 11 Jan 2007

Is the wi-fi adaptor turned on? Often a function key turns it on, if it doesn't have a physical switch.

If you give details of the machine, maybe someone will point you in the right direction.

dmclaughlin1 10:12 11 Jan 2007

The laptop is a packard bell R1938. I have the wireless switched on with the function key but no change.

Ashrich 23:26 11 Jan 2007

Do you have the SSID turned on in the router ? that can cause difficulties if it cannot be seen , turning it off , as some do , is no help against someone hacking into it , it just causes problems , that would explain why Windows can't find it .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:29 11 Jan 2007

Forgot to say , if the SSID is to be enabled then rename the router to something other than it's default name and password the access to it properly to stop others getting in to it and messing it up .

Ashley

dmclaughlin1 16:53 14 Jan 2007

Yeah its broadcasting. One housemate is picking it up through his wifi laptop and another is getting through his wireless card.

The 12th Man 00:02 15 Jan 2007

...how it works at your parents house but you can't even detect a known working router. Try disabling all other connections (except for the wireless one) in Network Connections the scan for available netorks. Make sure you are in the same room as the router initially. Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone