WiFi - Just can't get to grips with it on paper...

  Jester2K 08:14 20 Jan 2004

.... so I'm going to have to do it.

Current situation. 1 Mb Blueyonder Broadband. Enters house though thick white cable and snakes round house to BB modem in back room. BB modem then connected to network card in PC. One PC only.

Also in the progress of decorating and want to look at removing as much unsightly cable as possible.

WiFi is the way to go.

However as much as i read the articles in PCA i just can't get it in my head straight. The only thing i can get right is i need to get 802.11g equipment.

So here goes....

If i am correct i need a wireless router and an access point plus a wireless network card. The BB cable goes into the Wireless Router which in turn is plugged into the Access Point. The Wireless Network Card is then put in the PC and the Wireless Network Card and Access point talk to each other.

Now if thats correct, will the Access point Server the whole house of just one room? The way i want it to work is to have the Router and the Access Point hidden in our bedroom whilst the PC will remain in the next room. However at a later date i might also want to add a Laptop or move the PC into another room without having to move cables.

If thats not correct can someone please explain in simple terms what i need to get and how its all arranged?

Also whats the likely costs involved?

Will i see a deterioration in my BB connection?

Will it interfere with any thing?

We have cordless telephones in the house and there seem to be a couple of dead spots. Will these dead spots also happen with the WiFi in the same places or are the two types of wireless connection different?

Oh and whats the thick white cable called??

I've tried following the guide in "Go Digital" but sometimes I'm totally blind until i do it myself (like when i built two PCs - gained more knowledge building two PCs than i did from reading 4 books on it....)

  Inigo 08:42 20 Jan 2004

Cable enters house, gets plugged into a wireless router. This then makes about a 100m+ radius around itself into a wifi hotspot - you'll be able to access the internet using the PC Card on your PC within about that radius. The radius does depend on the structure of your walls etc, though.

Costs: this depends, I guess. Netgear's the one I use - cost is £122.42 from Amazon click here - that's 54Mb/s. That's the upper end, though. You can get cheaper - if the connection's through ethernet, or plugs into the ethernet (network) port on your computer, then you can go for something a lot cheaper that'll just plug into your modem, for example click here . That one is 802.11b, which is 11Mb/s. For your connection, though, you won't notice a difference - I use 802.11b myself, with a 10Mb/s internet connection, and it cuts the speed down to about 2-3Mb/s. So for 1Mb/s, no problem.

You then need the wifi card on your PC. If it's a desktop PC, then it'll be either USB or PCI. If a laptop, then ether USB or PC Card. Something like click here will suit either, and costs under 20GBP. That's only 802.11b, so if you go for 802.11g then it'll cost more - expect something around 40GBP.

Cordless phones may cause a problem, as they work on the same frequency as wifi does...

Hope this helps a little. I'm sure other people will fill out what I've missed... Probably also clarify my ramblings.

  Jester2K 08:59 20 Jan 2004

OK so I'm now 50% of the way there. I get the first paragraph. Put a Wireless Router on to the end of the big white cable and presto whole house is covered by a hot spot (dependant on structure, weather etc etc etc)

I get the first sentence on paragraph two but then it all falls on the the floor. (Be assured its me - not your explanation)

So a Netgear ADSL Router/Modem/54mbps Access Point DG834G is a Wireless Router? Not being funny but wouldn't i need this click here instead?

I'm on Cable Broadband and not ADSL.

Of either of these i assume the white cable from Telewest goes into the back of the Router.

Then you mention click here and connecting by an Ethernet Port. I know what that is but not sure how that fits into the WiFi set up? Also not sure how my BB Modem fits into this.....

Finally i get the bit about the PCI card (or USB Stick) in the PC.

I assumed the Wireless Router you mentioned first would just communicate with the PCI Card / USB Stick?

  asw 09:38 20 Jan 2004

I think that from Inigo's advice you should be pretty well on track. Just thought I'd add that I set up a similar system 2 months ago when the area came on-line to adsl.

I feed my adsl into a DM602 from there it goes to an FS150 switched hub which allows me to feed an ethernet connection direct to my desktop & a connection to a WG602 wireless access point.

This means I have one hard wired connection to my desktop but the 2 laptops in the house are served by the wireless access point, one with a WG511 PC card and the other with its own built in Wireless Lan, but there is no reason you cannot do as you say and feed your desktop via a PCI wireless card as well.

I used Netgear throughout, their website is very good, with diagrams of typical set-ups and if you still have queries about what you need their pre/post-sales telephone support is excellent. Good prices from DABS & Simply Computers

Performance has been excellent and so far very reliable. I did have a problem with a DECT cordless phone but that was solved by increasing the seperation distance between the phone base & the wireless access point. Furthest distance I can get a reliable signal is 25m but that's through 3 solid walls some of which contain steel reinforcement and the access point is not as high as I'd like (domestic astectics you understand). Good luck.

  Jester2K 09:40 20 Jan 2004

I've been Google-ing to see if i can dig up any more info but i always seem to fall into the same trap of "techno-babble". I just can't seem to cut through it.....

  bremner 09:50 20 Jan 2004

"OK so I'm now 50% of the way there. I get the first paragraph. Put a Wireless Router on to the end of the big white cable and presto whole house is covered by a hot spot (dependant on structure, weather etc etc etc)"

Not quite. The Blueyonder cable modem sits on the end of the white cable. This is then linked via an ethernet cable to the wireless router.

That is unless you want to replace the existing Modem with a wireless modem/router which will be more expensive than just a wireless router.

Each machine on the network then has a wireless network card.

Like you I have Blueyonder. I bought this router click here and connected via ethernet to my cable modem.

I have hard wired the router to my main PC and two other machines upstairs are wirelessly connected.

  Forum Editor 10:19 20 Jan 2004

1. Connect your modem to the router

2. Connect a wireless networking adapter to each computer on your proposed network - the easiest way to do this is to buy USB adapters, they simply plug into a USB port. You can get very neat adapters that are the same size as those USB 'Pen' drives. DO NOT plug the adapters in before you have installed the software on each computer.

3. Now connect the router to any of the PCs (using the Ethernet/USB cable provided)and configure the router - it's easy to do, and the router's supplied manual will step you through it.

4. Unplug the router to PC cable, you've finished with it now.

5. Boot the whole lot up and it will all work - the router will distribute the broadband connection to all the machines. You may have to tell each machine's USB adapter to 'search' for the router - you do this by clicking on the adapter's icon in the system tray, this will give you a dialogue box in which you can see the router that the adapter has found. Click on this, and tell the adpter to use it (configuration varies slightly with different adapters).

It's all much easier to do than it is to describe - you'll have no problems.

  Forum Editor 10:21 20 Jan 2004

The whole idea of using adapters in all the machines is that you don't need a 'main' PC to be running - the router itself establishes the connection each time it's booted, so any machine on the network can use the connection, without any of the others needing to be on.

  powerless 13:31 20 Jan 2004

"It's all much easier to do than it is to describe - you'll have no problems."

You can say that again...

"It's all much easier to do than it is to describe - you'll have no problems."

All I did was plug everything "in", turn on computers and...it worked!!

Whilst my setup is different to yours (ADSL and i even have the DG834G). Its as easy as ABC to do!

  Jester2K 14:34 20 Jan 2004

Right. Here goes again.

1) Unplug BB Modem from Ethernet port on Network Card in PC and plug into Router.

2) Set up USB Pen type Network Adaptor on PC.

3) Plug Router into Ethernet port on Network Card in PC and configure the Router.

4) Unplug the Router from the Ethernet port on Network Card in PC and move BB Modem and Router to desired location. Reboot. Router and USB Pen Type Adaptor will chatter away.

IF thats correct then i know the USB Pen described above can go in a spare USB port on the PC (is USB 1.1 OK?) but can anyone recommend a router suitable for the job? I know there are some recommendations above but i can't make up my mind which ones the right one - or do i just buy a router and thats it?

  Jester2K 14:35 20 Jan 2004

Oh and will the Router (subject to building materials etc) reach all over the house?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?