wifi - how does it work?

lorna6am 13:08 29 Aug 2005

I haven't got a clue about all things technical, and would be grateful of some help.

I am about to purchase a laptop, mostly for using word and excel. But I am going off on business for 3 weeks and will also need to use the internet.
I understand that modern laptops are usually Wifi enabled, and that all one has to do is go to a wifi 'hotspot' like a restaurant or hotel, and gain internet access wirelessly.

What I don't understand is how I get charged for this service (if at all). I have AOL broadband at home, and wondered if I just log onto AOL (wirlessly) when out and about, and therefore do not get billed any extra; or does the particular Wifi provider charge by the minute? Can anyone explain?

Thanks in advance

Diodorus Siculus 13:49 29 Aug 2005

[quote]how I get charged for this service[/quote]

The connection will likely need a key with which you can logon; you will probably have to pay for this key.

There are some free hotspots around though.

click here

wjrt 23:16 30 Aug 2005

click here

seems expensive

wjrt 23:22 30 Aug 2005

link not working

click here

fingers crossed

lorna6am 18:12 01 Sep 2005

Thanks for the help. I understand it a bit better...should've figured it would be expensive.

Gaz 25 18:49 01 Sep 2005

It's all a rip really. I mean it never costs them that much money for a 512k ADSL line. :-( *shakes head*

Silly. Mind you, thats the UK for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone