Wifi Hotspots - How to connect ?

Winxx 13:16 21 Apr 2007

Hello, i am currently on my Acer aspire 3660 Laptop, and it is great, the one thing i am very pleased with is that it connects to hotspots, so i can access the internet anywhere really.

My dad has just bought a home PC, and it is exactly the same, its an Acer, and im wondering, if he wanted to connect to a wireless hotspot, then what would he need?

A wireless router maybe ?
I have no idea as its built into my laptop.

Diodorus Siculus 14:54 21 Apr 2007

Where does your laptop get the wifi signal from when you connect?

Do you use your laptop where your dad will use his PC?

Diodorus Siculus 14:55 21 Apr 2007

You dad will need a wifi antennae - they can be either PCI (internal) or via USB. I prefer USB as they can be placed in different places so as to improve the connection.

MAJ 15:12 21 Apr 2007

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but it sounds like you're connecting to an unsecured wireless network in your vicinity rather than connecting to a hots-pot, as you don't mention anything about paying for access to the hot-spot.

pj123 15:28 21 Apr 2007

And if MAJ is correct it is classed as stealing, which is illegal.

I have a desktop PC with wireless adapter and I can pick up 4 other networks. 3 of which are secured but one isn't. I can't actually connect to the unsecured network but I have been round knocking on doors up to about 100 yards from my house to try and find out who it is and tell them they are unsecured. No luck yet. Is it worth going further than 100 yards?

Technotiger 16:05 21 Apr 2007

Many hotspots are Free to connect to. Mainly in garages, and some large stores. Also Hotels, some free for residents only.

To find free wifi hotspots just Google for your area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?