wifi extender problem

goffin 19:08 19 Aug 2006

I posted this on the general helproom forum - apologies.

I have a BT1800HG ADSL wifi router. I am getting a poor/no signal at the end of the house, so I bought a Belkin wifi repeater.

I have managed to get the repeater to connect to the router but when I switch to the Belkin, it appears to be OK but if I turn on the laptop, I get a message 'There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network'. I then have to switch back to the original router to get Internet access. The same WEP setting are on both router and repeater though the SSIDs are different

what am I doing wrong?

kestrel10 19:33 19 Aug 2006

You need to ensure that all device connected to your network have different IP addresses. Your BT router will have an IP address & so will your Belkin wifi as will your Desktop & laptop. These all need to be different. I suspect that your desktop & your laptop will be set to DHCP, Which basically means that they will pick up an IP address automatically from a DHCP server, This will be your ISP's servers or even your BT router.
The Belkin wifi may have the same IP address set as your BT router, you need to change this in the Belkin configuration (see the manual). You need to make sure that they are also using the same sub-net mask. This would normally be 255.255.255.0 for a home style network. The BT router may have an IP similar to this: 192.168.254.254 or 192.168.0.254. In this case I would set the Belkins IP address to 192.168.254.250 or 192.168.0.250
Hope this is of some help.

goffin 18:54 20 Aug 2006

it seems to be working now - I can't get my PDA (Windows Mobile 2003) to connect but I'll work on this

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?