wifi connect PC to TV/android/xmbc box

panhandle 15:00 08 Jun 2014
Answered

Is there a way to set up a wireless connection of PC to TV and/or Android/xmbx box? I do NOT wish to use HDMI! Thankyou.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:13 08 Jun 2014

More info needed

Make and model of TV? does it have built in WiFi if not then your going to have to connect using some form of media box.

I can connect my PC upstairs to my Humax Freeview Recorder (by home plugs or wireless) and that is connected to the TV via HDMI cable.

panhandle 22:56 08 Jun 2014

Yes, TV is wifi/hdmi/usb etc. I am streaming wirelessly from an android/xmbc digi box no problems. I cannot cable it due to locations of devices.

Since posting I have learnt that you can get USB hdmi transmitter/receivers between 2 devices. Maybe this is the answer. They are not expensive,looking at amazon or e-bay; but do they work? Any idea?

I live in sunny Cyprus so freeview etc is a no-no. I use Film on, have a VPN and get i-player. I would just find it incredibly convenient to have PC on TV as well. When they were close together I had an hdmi connection and it worked fine.

I [might] have answered my own question with the USB; any advice welcome. I recall you have helped me before!

panhandle 15:45 10 Jun 2014
Answer

I have done what I probably should have in the first place & googled it. Yes - there are lots of gadgets on the market, mostly starting around 160 Euros/190 GBP - plus a few at a fiver - no thanks!

So I think I can sort this out, there is definitely a way; USB/HDMI sender & receiver or something like that, same principal as audio/video senders.I should have looked before. Thanks.

bumpkin 17:13 10 Jun 2014

Starting at around 190 GBP I think I would follow Fruit Bats advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017