wifi conection problem

rambus 19:49 12 Jun 2008

hi, hope someone can help me with this problem as its exhausted my limited knowledge of wifi.
problem is, my laptop will connect to internet using a ethernet connection without any problems, but i want to use it wirelessly.
when laptop boots up it makes a wireless connection and tells me that the signal is excellant, but when i open explorer it disconnects after a few seconds, still tells me that the signal is excellant but cannot renew the connection as it trys without any joy to renew its ip address, if i reboot the cycle starts again, any ideas would be most welcombe, thank you.

L8-tian 15:04 13 Jun 2008

hi,
As i understand, the wireless signal is excellent in the lap top. but you are able to access the internet for a while.

my suggestion is assign the static ip address,subnet mask and default gateway in router range.

also assign static DNS in the laptop.
preferred DNS is 4.2.2.2
alternate DNS is 4.2.2.1

the steps to assign static ip address and Static DNS in the lap top.

--click on start .
--go to control panel.
--double click on network connections.
--right click on "wirelelss network connection".
--go to properties.
--you could find a small white box with list of options with check marks in front.
--In the high light internet protocol TCP/IP and click on properties button.
--there u could find 2 options, in that select use this ip addrress.
--in that area enter the ip address,subnet mask and default gatewat.
--in the bottom of the same screen u can find 2 options.
--select use this DNS address and enter the DNS i have given and say ok.
--and say close in propertis screen.
--restart the lap top.

hope this will help u.:-)

rambus 12:22 15 Jun 2008

Hi L8-tian thanks for your help. have noticed that the password box on laptop for the wireless connection is one digit shorter then what is set in router setup, have typed the correct password into laptop but keeps resetting to previous setting, so i think i will have to completely uninstall my wireless setup and start again.

rambus 21:49 15 Jun 2008

finaly got it sorted, having read countless help pages on google, my head overloaded with to much information possible/probable causes ect,i simple set router to a differant channel and all is working fine now, staying connected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017