A Wierd Windows Happening?

Graphicool1 10:29 05 Jan 2009

First off I'd just like to say Happy New Year to everyone at PC Advisor.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
My PC set up is WINXP Home Version 2002 SP3.
1.16 GHz, 1.25 GB RAM

I have 2 internal HDD each 40 GB, both Maxtor
1 external HDD 80 GB, WD
(Driver provided by Microsoft)
The external is connected via USB 1.1

When I switch it on, the PC always flags up a message informing me that if I were to connect via USB 2.0 the HDD would be faster. Logically, on paper this assumption would seem to be true. However when put into practice, everything goes pear shaped!

When in USB 1.1, everything operates fine. I've attempted to plug it into USB 2.0 on two separate occasions. Each time, the PC/OS reacted differently.

The first time it was saying there was an error, and I was unable to open or use the external HDD!
As soon as I reconnected it to USB 1.1 no problem?

I hadn't tried it again for a few weeks until yesterday. The result this time was somewhat more worrying. A message appeared on the desktop, informing me that there was an error with the current programme and it would have to close.

When I've seen these error messages before they were all related to IE7. NOT THIS TIME!

This one was different, it was referring to Windows Explorer!?
Being a little gung ho, I clicked the close button. (A little bit of me was intrigued to see just what would happen next?) I'll tell you, all the icons disapeared from the desktop, leaving only the background colour. This prompted me to unplug the external HDD from USB 2.0 and reconnect it to USB 1.1. I then rebooted and everything was back to what passes as normal on my PC.

Any ideas guys?

Technotiger 10:42 05 Jan 2009

It is possible that your Explorer has collected a bit of Malware. I advise you to run Superantispyware to get rid of it.

click here

Also when plugging in the USB hard drive, only use a Rear USB port.

Graphicool1 12:42 05 Jan 2009

Hi Technotiger

That same thing ocurred to me, after I posted this thread. I am as we speak doing an in depth, full Anti-Malware scan, with Malwarebytes. It has been running - and still is - for 1hr and 15 mins so far and has found 8 objects infected!

Graphicool1 12:44 05 Jan 2009

PS

I only have rear USB ports on my PC. Cheers, I'll post the results.

G1

Graphicool1 15:40 05 Jan 2009

It just finished and found 9 infections, 8 of which were in the registery. I'll give the external HDD another go now. However, I feel I should say at this point I don't feel confident that this is going to solve my problem.

G1

Graphicool1 16:06 05 Jan 2009

Hi Technotiger

Well here it is, I plugged the external HDD into the USB 2.0 port and switched it on. No message. I clicked 'My Computer', the box opened, but was empty?! After just under 30 seconds - it seemed like a lifetime - the box filled with the usual drive details, including the external HDD. I clicked it - and much to my surprise - it opened. As yet it seems ok. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Thanks for your input 'Techno-T' G1

Technotiger 16:59 05 Jan 2009

Grreat, thanks for your feedback, I am sure it will be ok from now on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?