Wierd fonts on a very few sites..Is it me?

Diemmess 11:01 24 Jul 2006

Recently am finding some sites are displaying in what I would guess is a "Brush Script" or "Ruach Letraset" font and small character size. Both fonts are on my computer.

You can prove this for me if you have an normally readable screen when you click here
I have the weird script when I open this.

I rarely use Aol Live Help mainly because I have few problems and Live Help seldom solves anything.
It was when in "conversation" with the agent that the answer panel was displaying in this almost unreadble font. The rest of the screen and all other Aol pages are normal.
When contact was over I printed the lot which reproduced in normal Arial font.

I believe I am running a clean malware-free outfit, but assume something is unwell, or is this a new way to "be different?"

SANTOS7 11:04 24 Jul 2006

Works OK for me XP PRO (firefox)...

johnnyrocker 11:07 24 Jul 2006

ok here in explorer 6 xp pro sp2.

johnny.

ed-0 11:22 24 Jul 2006

Fine here with IE6 and XP home.

Diemmess 11:54 24 Jul 2006

OK, so it is something I have done/not done!

Perhaps a corrupted font used on the affected pages and substituted by the weird one?

Since so few places are affected, any ideas on finding the culprit?

SANTOS7 12:00 24 Jul 2006

"I believe I am running a clean malware-free outfit"

Would be tempted first to scan PC with all spy/malware progs you have, delete all temp internet files, go from there...

Diemmess 12:21 24 Jul 2006

I don't wish to sound smug SANTOS7, but with constant cover (all updated regularly) from AVG, and ZA.
Plus regular CCleaner, and weekly Spybot and Ad-aware, I seldom find anything at all and nothing really significant for yonks.

If I could find out what the proper font is for the weird pages or part pages, then I could try deleteing and reinstalling those fonts.

The other thing would be to try to effect a repair/refreshing of Aol.
Very reluctant to meddle with that at present, maybe some slow day in the autumn!

VoG II 12:36 24 Jul 2006

I would run CleanUp! click here

Diemmess 14:11 24 Jul 2006

Really VoG™ ? Do you think Cleanup is sufficiently better than CCleaner?

I emphasise that this problem seems limited to a few sites and in Aol, to the live help dialogue only. None of my wide variety of favourite places has this trouble.

Wiki*** does the same thing overall. Another example click here
It may help me to have some idea of which font is messed up for me.
I would like some educated guesses on the font actually used by the wikipedia link?

john-232317 14:20 24 Jul 2006

Right click on text, and select source, the html may give you the type of text ?

rezeeg 14:34 24 Jul 2006

Looks like Verdana.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone