Widows XP SP 2 problem

oriano 17:15 25 Sep 2004

Hi Im running Windows XP Pro and Ive just installed SP2 with 512mb DDR(3200) and I’ve noticed that my system is taking much longer to start up, before it would start up in about 2mins now I’m lucky if it takes about 5 mins , but some applications are taking longer to start up like Microsoft Word, has anybody got any idea what could be happening?
Regards
Robert

hugh-265156 17:17 25 Sep 2004

try running a disc cleanup and then run a defrag and restart your computer.

hugh-265156 17:22 25 Sep 2004

ps. if cleanup and defrag doesnt help any and you havnt got loads of programs starting with windows then try bootvis maybe (works ok with SP2) click here install it and click 'trace/next boot and driver delay' and restart the computer. after a min or two you will be presented with a graph of drivers and processes starting with windows and the time each one takes etc.

next click 'trace/optomize system' and restart again. after a few mins the bootvis box disappears and your done. try restarting again now and see if its any faster.

oriano 14:23 26 Sep 2004

Hi again I tried Bootvis and thank you it worked to a certain extent, in that it has “Optimised” the system to start a bit faster. But one note of concern has arisen and that is on the report that it created it had a “Warning – System Caching is Disabled” in red letters, I can only presume that this is some serious? Is there a way to correct this?
Regards
Robert

Dorsai 14:51 26 Sep 2004

I found XP a bit slow just after installing SP2. But for some reason it slowly recoverd the boot up speed, and is now almost as fast as it was. But then i have defragged, etc since.

hugh-265156 20:22 26 Sep 2004

to enable disk write caching open 'my computer' then right click on your hard drive/properties/hardware and highlight your hard drive then click 'properties/policies' and tick the 'enable write caching on the disk'

ps. i dont think this will do any harm if left disabled, the help on this item states that if enabled, it may inprove disk performance but there is an increased risk of data loss in the even that the computer is not shout down correctly. i have always had this enabled will no ill effects. no doubt sombody with more knowledge than i will explain exactly what this does. hope that helps.

hugh-265156 20:23 26 Sep 2004

sorry about the spelling i forgot to check it :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?