Widescreen TFT's

@Home 22:27 28 Oct 2004

I am thinking of getting a larger TFT monitor and have been looking @ the Samsung SM243T 24 Inch LCD Display

and

the Sony SDM-P234B 23ins WideScreen TFT

has anyone got any opinions on these Monitors?
Are there any others I should consider?

My IIyama 19" TFT is for sale? E-mail for more details.

Cheers

@Home 08:29 29 Oct 2004

Anyone got any thoughts?

Graham ® 10:04 29 Oct 2004

I have a 17" widescreen. I think anything larger would have to be further away, as I have to move my head to see the extremities as it is. Rather defeats the object.

Andsome 10:07 29 Oct 2004

Maybe I'm wrong, but surely looking at a wide screen monitor, either the view will be stretched to fill the screen and therefore be distorted, or alternatively the picture will be the usual shape, and the edges will be blank.

€dstowe 10:14 29 Oct 2004

The widescreen monitors that I have seen do, as Andsome states, stretch and distort the image - completely useless for graphics work and for word processing where an A4 page looks almost square.

If you arrange things to give a correct format view then, again as Andsome states, the edges will be blank and thus you are paying for wasted space.

Save your money.

€dstowe 13:42 29 Oct 2004

The Windows "shape" is based on a 4 x 3 aspect ratio. To get the Window to get any other shape will require it to be distorted to fit.

COUCHER 15:15 29 Oct 2004

Clicked on the above.
Seems ok to me and gets rid of the ads on the right hand side
Dan

@Home 15:52 29 Oct 2004

Thanks for the comments thus far.

Has anyone got any reviews on the Monitors I have listed?

Cheers

paddy75 16:54 29 Oct 2004

Try This link and scroll down to the bottom....click here

paddy75 16:58 29 Oct 2004

Here is another link,again scroll down to bottom of page.....click here

TomJerry 17:04 29 Oct 2004

If the graphics card support widescreen formats, many of them are now, there is NO graphics distoriation (streth or cut off) with widescreen TFT monitor.

This is just the same situation as widescreen TV. If TB signal is in widescreen format (many movies are), no stretch or cut off involved. The cut off or streth only come into play if the TV signal is in 4:3 format.

So Go for it, even your G-card does not support it, you can always get one which does with your deep pocket.

Any chance of good price for your old old?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?