Widescreen Monitor Tips?

rabbitrabbit 20:05 04 Sep 2007

Just bought a widescreen monitor. It's very nice, thanks for asking.
Just wondering if there are any suggestions or tips generally to make my widesceen experience a fulfilling one.
For example, when I've got my internet browser window open, there's an awful lot of space on either side of the webpage, or whatever I'm viewing. I understand the reasons for this, however I'd still appreciate any advice :) Thanks

ambra4 20:42 04 Sep 2007

Widescreen resolution is very importance a 19” widescreen needs 1440 X 900 / 60 Hz resolution for it to look right

A 22” widescreen need 1680 X 1050 / 60 Hz Resolution

If you use a lower setting the display would be stretch and fat

In Office Word use the print layout setting at 100% page, display would be in the middle of screen

If multi pages document reduce the page size to75% and you will get pages side by side

holme 21:30 04 Sep 2007

I'm very nervous about contradicting what you say but may I query the points you make?

AFAIK, widescreen monitors are all designed for the same aspect ratio, i.e. 1.6:1 (or as someone said this morning, 16:10). Each monitor will have a 'native' resolution, such as the two you mention; 1440x900 and 1680x1050.

The physical screen size does not affect that, so you could well have a smaller screen with a higher-res, and vice-versa. A larger screen doesn't necessarily have a higher-resolution.

The reason that a lower setting than the 'native' widescreen resolution /might/ make the display seem odd (either too wide or too narrow) is that the aspect ratio of the selected resolution is not the standard 1.6:1. If it's 1.77:1 such as 1600x900, it'll look too wide; if it's 1.33:1 such as 1280x960, it'll look too narrow.

rabbitrabbit: Some applications have a 'pasteboard', either side of the A4 portrait page, onto which you can temporarily drag objects such as text snippets or images, which makes editing and pasting up much easier. The 'spare space' on a widescreen monitor is extremely helpful in that area plus, as ambrae4 said, for double-page spreads (not necessarily 75%; a high-res monitor can often handle 100% scale. HTH.

woodchip 21:44 04 Sep 2007

Tile the Screen so you have two pages open side by side. You have to do it by draging to size

holme 22:13 04 Sep 2007

Sorry, don't understand any of that. More detail please?

woodchip 23:12 04 Sep 2007

You can open two browser Windows and have them side by side. Clicking the middle button at top right of the window so it lets you drag a screen to size. To move it you click on Blue bar at the top and drag to one side. You can do this with most Programs. Or different ones. No need for them to be behind each other

holme 09:56 05 Sep 2007

(Thanks for that woodchip.) This major benefit of widescreen monitors already discussed earlier in the thread by ambra4 and ourselves. Two separate A4 pages, with surrounding window 'furniture', can normally be arranged side by side with no overlap and, depending on the screen res, perhaps no need to scale them down from 100%. Very convenient, user-friendly and elegant; IMHO much more so that using dual monitors.

(woodchip, by "Tile the Screen", we thought you were talking about something different, sorry!)

Arnie 10:49 05 Sep 2007

"there's an awful lot of space on either side of the webpage, or whatever I'm viewing."

I find this an advantage. It enables me to scroll from the side of the web page, which prevents hyperlinked words popping up.

I have set my screen resolution to 1440x900 pixels at 60 Hz refresh rate, with a DPI setting of 120.
I find this gives me a respectable character size.

I also use NoSquint with my Firefox browser.
The following abridged extract is from the NoSquint site.

(Sic). NoSquint is a Firefox extension that allows you to adjust the default text zoom level, which is very useful if you have a small display or run at a very high resolution. NoSquint also remembers the zoom level per site (though you can disable that).

Until website designers (typically those who know of no life outside Internet Explorer) who insist on using a 50% font-size are administered a harsh larting, NoSquint exists to make web browsing tolerable in Firefox.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?