Wide screen monitors & laptops

Migwell 18:49 09 Dec 2006

If I were to buy a wide screen monitor or a laptop with a wide screen, will my digital photographs taken with a 4*3 format camera be distorted. Or can you compensate by having the two black lines as I do on the wide screen TV, by setting it to 4*3 instaed of 16*9?

skeletal 20:40 09 Dec 2006

Using the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer you get two white bars at the side. Using Photoshop element to make a wmv file and playing it full screen in Windows Media Player give two black lines either side. The pictures are not distorted.

You can, of course, edit the photos to fit 16:9, something I may do...one day!

Skeletal

Migwell 00:29 10 Dec 2006

How about Microsoft Digital Image 2006 Suite Edition, as this is the program I use at the moment on my monitor which is a 15" LCD and will be going up to a 19" but cant decide weather to go 16X9 or stick with 4X3
I can't stand to see Photographs ruined by stretching when seen on wide screen monitors as some people display them.
Further to that are there any lap tops that give 4X3 as there seem to be all wide screen that I have come accross.
Thanks
Migwell

Migwell 00:30 10 Dec 2006

How about Microsoft Digital Image 2006 Suite Edition, as this is the program I use at the moment on my monitor which is a 15" LCD and will be going up to a 19" but cant decide weather to go 16X9 or stick with 4X3
I can't stand to see Photographs ruined by stretching when seen on wide screen monitors as some people display them.
Further to that are there any lap tops that give 4X3 as there seem to be all wide screen that I have come accross.
Thanks
Migwell

Migwell 13:04 10 Dec 2006

bump

skeletal 17:29 10 Dec 2006

I am not familiar with Microsoft Digital Image. However, why not do an experiment and crop a copy of one of your photos to a non 4x3 format. In “slide show mode” or its equivalent, you will see how the software handles the odd shaped image. You may then assume your 4x3 images displayed on a 16x9 format will look similar. I would be surprised if it did anything other than put bars at the side (or top depending on your cropping).

I agree that stretching a photo looks odd and I would not want to do that.

Also, as I said before, you may well be able to crop many of your photos to 16x9. A big exception would be any you took in portrait as these are even more removed from 16x9 than 4x3.

As to 4x3 laptops I can only suggest a trawl through the internet and PCA etc mags to see what is out there. I have switched to widescreen laptop (Dell) and monitor for the PC (21” widescreen). I prefer widescreen as, for example, in Word, I can open up various task bars/document maps etc whilst still having plenty of real estate for the document in the middle.

Also, if you move to widescreen be aware that a 17” widescreen will not be as high as a 17” 4x3 so to keep a similar height, you need to jump up a size or two: e.g. my 17” 4x3 Viewsonic measures about 34 x 27 cm, but the 21” Samsung measures about 46 x 28.5 cm. You see the width has gone up about 35%, but the height about 6%. Thus, for me, a 21” widescreen is the “equivalent” of a 17” 4x3. You may wish to look at the dimensions of various monitors to decide for yourself of course (the above measurements are approx as I just dropped a tape measure quickly across the screens).

Skeletal

sean-278262 17:42 10 Dec 2006

I have an acer from click here with a widescreen and all images are perfectly fine. Windows resolution sets it at the default. I think you may be confusing the aspect ratio with the pixel size. Pixels on a widescreen are exactly the same as on a 4:3 My laptop has a resolution of 1280 x 800 but my old 4:3 laptop had 1280 x 1024 both reproduced images the exact same way. Widescreen is really only needed for watching movies or other applications where running two tall but thin windows is required. For Word documents etc it is of no help as you get very little text and lots of space on each side. However for images I find the widescreen to be much better.

skeletal 18:00 10 Dec 2006

Creature of the Nite: I don’t quite agree with you about Word, as I said in my post widescreen means I can have the document map and task pane both open and still work on the document in the middle. Also good for my large spreadsheets.

As we also have a widescreen telly, I’m increasingly finding that “normal” 4x3 now looks odd!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?