Wi fi stopped working

HauxtonPhil 09:05 02 Mar 2010

I have a very slow laptop running XP pro and the wifi has stopped working - just get 'aquiring network address'. System is completely clean, no viruses, spyware etc. Thinking that it might be teh wireless hardware I installed a Netgear usb adaptor - exactly the same problem.

Can any oneone suggest what I should try next?

HauxtonPhil 09:38 02 Mar 2010

Should have mentioned that all is well on wired connection, and other PCs connect wirelessly to the router without any problem.

northumbria61 14:22 02 Mar 2010

did you install the correct wireless driver
have a look in device manager and check the device is under network adapters - if the Netgear one is there right click and select "Update Driver"

BRYNIT 14:24 02 Mar 2010

Have you checked that your firewall is not stopping the connection.

T0SH 19:40 02 Mar 2010

Power cycle your wireless router then try to connect again if it fails to connect then right click on the icon down beside the clock and choose repair from the options

If all of the above fails try this download and run it then reboot

click here

Cheers HC

greenlamp 23:04 02 Mar 2010

what antivirus are you using, I had a simular problem on one PC after upgrading to avg 9 , while other PC's were fine.

HauxtonPhil 15:43 03 Mar 2010

Thanks for the responses guys. All the above checked and ok, but nothing has fixed it. TOSH - tried that download but that didn't work either.
Any further thoughts anyone?

northumbria61 22:52 04 Mar 2010

Disable or Uninstall the Netgear Adapter in Device Manager - Restart your computer - Run set-up again using your supplied Netgear CD - then plug in your Netgear USB Adapter - maybe this will do the trick.

abatche 02:59 05 Mar 2010

I have a bthomehub2. My desktop works on wireless fine but my new netbook shows the wireless is connected but cannot get any web pages. I have tried all channels on the hub,restored to previous time,updated drivers.

IE8 gives me a message that it is the firwalls on PORT 80,Port 443 etc.

I am tearing my hair out as this happened on my previous laptop and I assumed it was because the card was old so binned laptop.

Contacted BT but could only offer channel change and no response to my 'does not work reply'.

I am so fed up with this so called 'wireless hub'

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abatche 03:01 05 Mar 2010

I forgot to mention I am also using XP and have also made sure I have all th updates.

northumbria61 07:44 05 Mar 2010

I am hoping something here may help.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?