Wi-Fi Security: I need your help.

Big Sola 17:36 26 Aug 2007

Hi,
could anybody help me in form of tutorial on how to make my linksys wireless router be limited to the connection between my desktop and laptop only and not to be made open to outsider.
At the moment I am able to use my laptop to connect to the internet with the help of my wireless router but this is just because my router is made open, but I do not know how to make my router be connectable to my only lap top.
My Internet provider IP address is different from the IP address on my linksys router, I am able to go into the router setting by tapping into the web browser the IP address supplied with the router, but I do not know what do I need to enable or disable.
I shall prefer to network the two PC through the router.
Can any good samaritan help with the tutorial?

setecio 17:43 26 Aug 2007

Yes. Go into the wireless security settings in the router and enable WPA wireless security and type in a random 20 digit passphrase and write it down. Apply this and then you will now be locked out until you scan for networks again on your laptop, enter the WPA passphrase you created, and connect again.

All other things are a waste of time, once you have good WPA enabled.

Big Sola 18:01 26 Aug 2007

Thank you setecio,
If I am not taking too much of your time, I have just logged on to the router stting but could only find firewall protection which is enable by default and the "Block Anonymous internet requests box checked"
I have actually access this setting by tapping the 192.168.1.1 on the web browser. any more guide?

Ashrich 21:29 26 Aug 2007

It should be in the wireless section , what make and model of wireless router do you have ?

Ashley

Big Sola 12:15 27 Aug 2007

Thanks to both Setecio and Ashrich. I have finally secured my wireless connection from a free user.
Thank you guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017