Is Wi-Fi the same as Wireless internet?

buel 23:20 19 Mar 2009

Hi, im just about to spend the weekend in Bognor Regis Butlins and apparently they have 'Wi-Fi', please can anyone tell me is this the same as the wireless internet set-up i have here in my home with my router? Sorry for such a silly question!

Yes, although you may have to pay to use it!

DieSse 23:54 19 Mar 2009

The term Wi-Fi is generally applied to local (ish) systems for use around the home, and in local area "hot-spots", as per the Butlins example, and in hotels, coffee shops and the like.

There is another form, more often referred to as "wireless internet" which is long distance replacement for cabled systems (telephone and "TV-type" cable systems).

This is usually LDMS or WiMax or similar,, and operates over much longer distances. It's quite common in parts of Spain, which is much less cabled in rural areas. I use such a system - my local mast is some 30KM or more away, and serves a very large number of users. And I have an outside mounted powered aerial/transceiver aimed at the main mast.

oldbeefer2 09:02 20 Mar 2009

In Hot Spots - if it's free - you usually have to get an access code from the staff.

palinka 19:23 20 Mar 2009

Basically it means that if you take your laptop with you you'll be able to access the internet; get your emails, etc. But as [email protected] says, you may have to pay so much per half hour or similar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone