Wi Fi Extender recommendation please

  Dirty Dick 18:22 08 Feb 2015

I want to be able to pick up a router's Wi Fi from further away than with the built-in aerial in my laptop lid.

I'm not sure what they are called, but I've seen one some time ago, that had a USB connector and an aerial with a sucker.

It's difficult to Google if you don't know what it's called !!

Any recommendations ??

Thanx in advance

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:52 08 Feb 2015

The best way is to use a wireless extender as part of a homeplug system click here

  Dirty Dick 20:18 08 Feb 2015

Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\ , didn't explain very well.

I'm actually going to use it in Spain, and from my neighbour's router (with his permission !!) When I visit for a few weeks at a time he lets me log on to his system.

I'm sure I've seen, in the dim & sdiatant past, something that I could plug into the USB on my laptop, that had an aerial on a sucker, that could be stuck on a window to extend the WiFi range.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 08 Feb 2015

won't extend your wireless card but adds a different wireless system I think you mean something like this

click here

  Dirty Dick 21:10 08 Feb 2015

Thanx Fruit Bat /\0/\

Looks similar to what I saw.

Do you think , if I got a USB extension cable (Male to Female) that that would extend the range if I put it out of the window ?

  rdave13 21:21 08 Feb 2015

With your neighbours permission?

I would think it should be with the ISP's permission. Piggybacking a connection is illegal.

  Dirty Dick 21:43 08 Feb 2015

Not in Spain rdave13 !!

  rdave13 21:53 08 Feb 2015

That's good to know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?