Wi-fi connection to Orange Livebox - is it easy?

Pineman100 18:37 02 Aug 2007

I'm shortly visiting a friend in France, who uses Orange as his ISP. He connects to broadband with an Orange Livebox router. His rather old laptop computer is hard-wired to the router.

He's asked me to take over a new Dell (Vista) laptop for him, which is wireless enabled, so that he can connect to the internet wirelessly.

He can just about use a computer but has no knowledge at all about setting up a wireless network, and so on. So he's asked me to do this for him. Have you heard the expression "the blind leading the blind"? :-(

I just about managed to set up my own wireless router, a year ago, but that's my only experience of this job. Can anyone please give me any tips about connecting wirelessly to the Orange Livebox? Will it be straightforward? Will I hit any snags?

I'd be grateful for any advice, please.

brundle 18:40 02 Aug 2007

The Orange site has nice clear instructions for setting up; click here

Pineman100 19:00 02 Aug 2007

That's a big help - many thanks. Did you use those instructions without any problems?

brundle 19:10 02 Aug 2007

I had cause to refer to them last week, adding a friend's wireless laptop to their network. The Livebox bit was easy - it's a good idea to copy the
encryption key to a text file and save it on the PC, then it can be easily pasted in when you attempt to connect to the Livebox.

Pineman100 19:17 02 Aug 2007

Thanks again, brundle.

laurie53 19:45 02 Aug 2007

Agree with brundle, it's fairly easy, and save the key to a text file

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:54 02 Aug 2007

Everything you need is in the livebox helpfiles which will be on the old laptop as it is already set to connect by cable

when connected by cable click here will take you to the livebox configuration page.

click on
Access to the configuration pages (access to these pages is restricted, you must have the password).

password box comes up
username admin
password admin

click security - wireless connection
makesure box "Enable wireless connection" is ticked
click configuration - advanced- wireless
make sure WPA security only is ticked.

some people have had problems if Wep and WPA is ticked box will connect but will NOT open web pages.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 02 Aug 2007

With the livebox set as above.

and the wireless switched on in the new laptop, windows should detect the wireless network. just enter the WEP key from the config page (also on the bottom of the Livebox) and you should be up and running.

brundle 20:01 02 Aug 2007

Don't forget to press one of the buttons (can never remember which) on the side of the Livebox to enable pairing - one of the lights on top of the livebox will flash for 10 minutes - pairing with new devices is automatically disabled after that time until you press the button again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 02 Aug 2007

Pairing button 1

STREETWORK 20:40 02 Aug 2007

One thing to check before trying to connect wirelessly is that the Wireless Zero Configuration is running on the new laptop. Do this by clicking on the 'Run' in the start menu and typing in services.msc - scroll down until you find the WZC utility and check it is running, if not then right click it and select 'start', then set it to 'automatic'

I had to do this after days of fuffing around with other areas to get the connection to work.

On the laptop make sure that the wireless card is enabled, some are not when you buy them. Do this from control panel, system, device manager.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?