Wi-Fi and ancient computer

Munchkin 22:55 22 Nov 2010

I have an ancient museum piece computer 350 MHZ PII 128MB RAM 7GB HDD running Windows 98, would it be possible to get this to play ball with a Wi-Fi set up to browse the internet?

Strawballs 23:01 22 Nov 2010

Yes it will as long as you can find an adapter that works with 98

Strawballs 23:03 22 Nov 2010

click here This one will work but it will be slow with that CPU

Ashrich 23:14 22 Nov 2010

I doubt if it will work with WPA encryption either .

Ashley

Strawballs 23:19 22 Nov 2010

Specifications only state WEP which is not very secure but better than nothing.

Batch 08:19 23 Nov 2010

It will almost certainly be extremely slow. People's expectations have come a long long way since the days of that PC and web content is so rich (and hence large) that it will take a long time to render a page (= watching paint dry?).

BTW what browser would you use? There could be serious security issues (would this concern you?).

Woolwell 13:06 23 Nov 2010

Doubt that you can get an anti-virus for it. But you may not be worried.

robin_x 18:11 23 Nov 2010

My 12 yr old Compaq Armada 128MB will just about run XP SP3 (orig W98 I think), Firefox and ClamAV. Using Belkin 56G dongle.
It doesn't drop out but can take a couple of attempts to connect to router. Belkin software is rubbish, not my setup.
It is better to let the laptop settle after bootup, 5 mins, and loading FF another 1-2 mins.
Chrome runs better.

It surfs fine after it stops thrashing my 11GB internal HDD. VLC plays movies without problem via a USB HDD.

Puppy Linux runs better still.
Still not a patch compared to my 5yr old desktop or 1 yr old new laptop of course.

Sometimes I will use the old laptop to remote access (using VNC) either of the other two (if they are on) and I want to surf a bit more quickly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?