Wi Fi access from a different location

shellship 15:11 04 Dec 2007

Don't know if this should be in Network Forum but will start here.
If one has a laptop configured to work wireless BB in house 'A' with ISP 'X' and then moves for a short time to house 'B' which is set up wirelessly BB with ISP 'Y', is it possible, with the permission of the owner of house 'B', to access the internet and email and if so how, please?

Technotiger 15:17 04 Dec 2007

Yes, I believe it is possible, though I have not done it myself - I am guessing from pure Logic.

When you are in house B, go to Show connections on your lappie and you should see the wifi networks listed, click on the relevant one and then on Connect. I think!!

shellship 15:26 04 Dec 2007

As usual your logic is impeccable. Thanks. I will try it when the move happens; in the meantime I'd welcome anyone else's input.

MAJ 15:28 04 Dec 2007

Wireless wouldn't be much cop or need any security if you couldn't connect to another wireless signal. As for emailing: If it's webmail then no problem. If you will be using an email client like Outlook Express for example and using your own email address, then you'll need to change the SMTP server in your settings to use ISP Y's SMTP server.

shellship 15:49 04 Dec 2007

Like TT your logic, too, is impeccable. It's obvious when you think of it. But I didn't, sad, isn't it!

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone