Why won't W98SE find my new network card?

Oggy66 18:12 03 Mar 2008

I’m struggling to install a Maplin PCI 10/100 Mbps Network Card (Code: ZT32K) in an old W98 PC.

It’s not detected via plug and play, “Add New Hardware” can’t find it and it does not appear at all under Device Manager.

I have tried different PCI slots and have even removed all other PCI cards apart from the sound card and re-installed Windows from scratch!!!

Having come to the conclusion it must be a faulty card, I returned it to Maplin and exchanged it, however the replacement is just the same.

Assuming it’s unlikely to be a second faulty card, am I missing something?

The PC is running W98SE on an AOpen AX6BC motherboard which I believe is 32 bit PCI 2.1 compliant, so the NIC should be suitable.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Kemistri 20:09 03 Mar 2008

Have you checked the instructions?

Oggy66 20:31 03 Mar 2008

Yes, they say W98 should detect the card, then you cancel the driver search, install the driver via the supplied CD, reboot, let W98 detect the card again and allow the driver search to complete.

The problem is I can't get it to detect the card at all.

Kemistri 20:42 03 Mar 2008

That's counter to how a lot of PCI comms cards (LAN, modems, etc.) are often installed, which is why I queried it. I have had cards whose driver/software has to be installed before the card is fitted; then you power down, fit the card and reboot. I'm not particularly suggesting that you try that, but you could if you wanted to.

Oggy66 22:43 03 Mar 2008

I've tried it both ways!

I just wondered whether there were any compatability issues people were aware of with this type of kit, or any obscure settings I might need to change.

Maplin Tech Support simply said it sounded faulty - but that would mean I'd had 2 faulty cards!

I could return it and get a different card - anyone recommend one for this age of machine under W98?

MAJ 09:37 04 Mar 2008

It does sound as if the second card is faulty, I never had a problem installing a network card in Win98se (NT, yes), even cheapo £5 cards. Send the card back and get a different make, or nip down to your local Computer shop and get one, they're usually less than a tenner.

Oggy66 21:10 06 Mar 2008

Just to say I took the 2nd card back and exchanged it for a Micronet one (for an extra £3!) and that one was recognised by W98 straight away.

Strange thing is that the instructions say it's PCI2.2 so I didn't expect it work - but it does!

Thanks for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?